CT Cross-Countries

scoobs

Guest flyguyjimmyb

What you are referring to is called Continuation Training or C.T. I'm not sure about other training aircraft, but the T-1 typically gets a training ride anywhere they want, once every three months. This of course is with another instructor. Students' opinions on where their cross country should be planned can usually be swayed. Considering that an instructor can usually go on a student cross country every weekend, you just may be able to go where ever you want. Keep in mind that the schedule on a C.T. cross country is far more lax than a student cross country.

IPs can take there specific jet CT X-C on any weekend that their DO allows them to go. The standing order for my squadron is once a quarter, but depending on how the flying hours are going it could be more that that or solo X-C.

Guest JeffreyAC

Well, keep in mind that though you may be able to control, to an extent, where you go - it's mostly an overnight trip; and you're still expected to get training out of it. With that said, as long as you get the training and don't take the jet anywhere you're not supposed to go, it's a pretty good deal.

Taking a jet to spend a week with the family over Christmas? Out. Flying up for an evening and having dinner with friends and/or family, then flying out the next day? Easy to do - and a great perk.

Originally posted by scoobs:

I heard that instructors can use the planes to fly wherever they want on the weekends.

As Tweet FAIP pointed out, you need to get approval from the DO (yes, that means Director of Ops). The other thing that matters (primarily for the T-38) is that the place you're going has equipment (start carts) for the aircraft. This drops a lot of non-military airfields out of the equation.

I heard T-38 guys taking cross countries on the weekends without studs.
That's what Continuation Training is.

What if its overnight and why not over christmas? Is it because everyone will want to do this.A cross country is going to help your flying ability.
You're not going to get the jet for any longer than a weekend. While I'm sure everyone would want to do this, the main reason is that when the jet is cross country, that's one less jet on the home flying schedule that is available for student sorties. At best, you'd be able to leave before a four-day weekend.

A cross country will greatly help a students flying abilities, but that's not the reason that instructors go CT. They go to get out of town and have a fun weekend somewhere on the governments tab. You'll rarely see a T-37 or T-38 crew do more than one approach to a full stop at their final destination.

Guest PalmettoGuy

So kind of a side note, what do you do about luggage? Obviously the T-1 has the room to pack a bag, but I don't usually think of the T-6/T-38 as having a baggage compartment. I assume that you don't go on your XC with just your flight suit.

Guest PhiPsiViper

The t-38 has a centerline pod that is attached for luggage storage. Looks like a fuel tank kinda

If done properly, you can pack a tweet down like you wouldn't believe. You can even fit a set of golf clubs in there if you know what you're doing. I always take a regular size gym bag with me......it fits perfect behind my seat, and a pair or 2 of shoes that go under the bag. The student (or 2nd IP) can use the right nose compartment and fit almost 3 backpacks worth of stuff in there. Sure, its no TOne, but you can easily fit in the amount of clothes you'll need for the weekend.

Guest JeffreyAC

Of course, it's nice to load up the T-1... Let's see; golf clubs, mountain bike, skis, computer, clothes... That should do for the weekend!

Though I should note I have been told you CAN get a set of short skis in the 38 cargo pod.