Letter of Recommendation (LOR) questions

I would suggest asking them all for a LOR. Then you can choose which ones you feel are the best. If your pastor can write about specific examples of your character ( i.e. leadership), then I would suggest that one over a mediocre letter from one of the officers. It's your call though. Just my .02

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boredwith9to5

I'm certainly planning on asking them all, even a few others. All in all I'll have about 8 people writing me letters. I just wasn't sure how the board would see it. I'm very confident that my officers will write excellent letters, but as though they've only known me for about 6 months now, would the board prefer a letter from a COL that has known me only 8-9 months or a pastor who has known me for 6 years, even if both of the letters are strong? That's what my thoughts are there.

Thanks for your reply VNE

• 1 month later...

Figured this would be the best topic to ask this. I have 3 letters I am planning on putting in my packet for boards, let me know what you guys think. One if from the Chief of my volunteer Fire Department where I'm a firefighter. Second from a Major who flies in the reserves with the AF. Third, from my first flight instructor who is AF Reserve retired Col. Would these be a good line up? Both the Col. and Maj. have flown with me, the Maj. was a Capt. at my airline. Should I have others too? These are going to be for 3 applications, 2 fighters and 1 helo(Air Rescue). Thanks for you help guys.

-Patrick

• 1 year later...

Also, would addressing the letter "To Whom it May Concern" be a bad idea? I've heard that it could be addressed to the president of the selection board. Is this exactly how it should the recipient should be addressed? "To the President of the Selection Board". I have a professor who has agreed to write me a LOR, but I'm nearly as clueless as him when it comes to what the content of the letter should be.

It's not going to kill you if it says, "To whom it may concern." However, I would definitely make some phone calls to try to find a specific name and rank which it can be addressed to. Even if it's just a title (i.e. Chief Pilot), that'd be better than nothing.

It's also beneficial to have the Prof send you the LOR in a word document. That way you can fill in specific names down the road. It was helpful to me, at least.

• 9 months later...