racism?

Guest WannaFly4Life

Guest WannaFly4Life

Hey, This might be a really really really stupid question for some of you, but it has been on my mind for a bit now. I want to be a pilot in the Air Force; I am a US citizen and everything, as well as in ROTC. The thing is I am of middle eastern descent. Would it hurt my chance in the selection board if they see a name like Muhammad Akbar? I don't believe their is racism in the AF but this one thing has just been on my mind. Thanks again. I'm sorry if this is a stupid post.

Guest flecth033

You will get a more thorough background check for your clearance, but once everything comes up cool, you should be alright. It took awhile for my friend who is of middle eastern decent to get his clearance, but he was fine.

I flew with a couple of guys who was of middle eastern descent, shouldn't make any difference. If you have close relatives still in the Middle East, you may want to get your clearance paperwork in at your first opportunity. This goes for anyone who has pretty close ties with any foreign country. I know a guy who waited over 2 years for a clearance, his wife was from Cuba. Other than the clearance issue, if you are a US citizen and want to serve your country as a pilot, it shouldn't be an issue.

[ 14. August 2005, 15:47: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]