Manas--what to take

Stiffler

Guest Brewdog

Mod housing; one latrine & one shower room per floor in a two story barracks. One laundry and common room per floor. It's getting cold there now, -20C overnight low. The BX never has mens sneakers/running shoes so make sure you bring a good pair. The chow blows there now, hopefully they won't renew their contract. They used to have some of the best chow in the AOR. Mail is slower there than downrange so keep that in mind. There is a decent gym if that's your thing. If you forget a weight belt, wraps or gloves, they have those in the BX most of the time. They have a limited selection of supplements so if you're picky bring it or use http://www.dpsnutrition.com for pretty good prices (usually a few bucks cheaper than http://www.bodybuilding.com) delivered to APO. DPS are fast, I got a box from Washington to Kandahar in 5 days once but like I say mail is slow in Manas so expect something more like 2 weeks. Apparel is very limited in the BX so pack accordingly. As usual a gaming console and or laptop would be good to have. They have some but I'm sure they sell out quickly like most locations. They do maintain a fair stock of DVD's and console games. There's an internet cafe which has desktops or a wireless access point for you to be able to use the net without the gayness of a proxy. Don't forget a camera of some sort, Kyrgystan has some great photo ops.

[ 03. January 2007, 11:02: Message edited by: Brewdog ]

Guest acmaster

Bring shower shoes, a couple sets of civilian clothes including a coat (for off base trips), a battery powered alarm clock (the power can be intermittent and people have late show times relying on plug in alarm clocks), reflective belt, PT gear: 4-5 shirts/shorts and running suit. They say you can buy one once you get there, but it’ hit or miss finding the correct sizes. You gotta wear PT gear or other uniform outside of the dorms but, inside the gym you can wear personal workout clothes.

Bring all of your DVD’s, even if you don’t watch it…they are good to have to trade with others. Also, be sure to bring some kind of entertainment: laptop/ipod/dvd player/cdplayer/books/camera/educational pursuits. Something like that.

Bring any kinds of supplements you like, but don’t bring power bars/harvest bars…they have tons of those and you’ll get sick of them.

There is no ATM and you usually can’t get money back on your debit card at the BX. Bring a couple of blank checks

All outlets are 240volts/50hz. There is a transformer in each room with 2 standard outlets. Don’t plug American 120v items into the wall…you will ruin whatever it was.

Guest Brewdog

There is an ATM in the civilian terminal 1st floor, if you can get over there to use it. 200 US or 8000 com per transaction. You can get only max 400 US per day from the ATM, not sure about com.

Originally posted by Stiffler:

Also for tanker guys, how many hours were you getting?

Yes, and where are your tankers, and may I count them?

I keed, I keed!

Now, for the most important question, what's the current alcohol policy? # of beers per day?

As for the PT gear...I was just at my local Active Duty BX, and they were out of a LOT of sizes. I've been TDY with you guys before. I wear a Med or Large shirt and XXL shorts to be comfortable. XLs are a little snug on me, Larges make me look like a NBA player from 1983.

Tell your more abdominally gifted brethren to go big on the shorts. You don't want any of this...

2cxi0xl.jpg

[ 03. January 2007, 18:00: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Originally posted by EN_STUD:

Bring all of your DVD’s, even if you don’t watch it…they are good to have to trade with others. Also, be sure to bring some kind of entertainment: laptop/ipod/dvd player/cdplayer/books/camera/educational pursuits. Something like that.

Bring any kinds of supplements you like, but don’t bring power bars/harvest bars…they have tons of those and you’ll get sick of them.

All outlets are 240volts/50hz. There is a transformer in each room with 2 standard outlets. Don’t plug American 120v items into the wall…you will ruin whatever it was.

Then how do we charge these items? Just curious because i'm going this summer.

The power cord on almost all your electronic gadgets works from 110v-240v. Look on the plug itself. XBOX 360 is 110 only, though.

I'd get some pants with no back pockets so your would be abductors can't slip a bomb in there.

The Died is 220V I think and I know it was 50 Hz, and most of my stuff worked. Laptop, battery charger, etc. Plug in clocks get messed up, and appliances that need the 60 cycle power can get burned out, but my laptop worked just fine. Like Beaver said, it'll say right on the cord or the transformer on you cord power in vs power out.

I'm assuming the PT uniforms are mandatory?

Still looking for the answer to the most important question...the alcohol policy. Ration cards? # per day? Inquiring minds gotta know!

Originally posted by Brewdog:

Civilian clothes banned in the gym within the last few days but you still see some.

So, you have to work out in your AF PT uniform. What a concept.

Can you wear civvies around the rest of the base?

EDIT: For clarity

[ 11. January 2007, 15:31: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Brew,

It was my post that was unclear.

You said the PT uniform was to be worn at the gym. My sarcasm was aimed at the fact that, if you are going to have a PT uniform, just use it for PT. If that's what they do at Manas, I'm all for that. It's definitely not what they do at the Died. You get to sweat your ass off 24/7 in 100% man-made material. Suck.

So, is the PT uniform 24/7 at Manas, or just for the gym/running?