Marriage and AF entitlements

Guest BlueSky99

Guest BlueSky99

Do you have to be married to your significant other in order for them to recognized by the Air Force, and also so that they can live with you on base if you so decide?

I did a search, but couldn't find much on this.

Thanks!

Guest AirGuardian

Normally on base residence is reserved for those with a marriage certificate... Marriage by mere living accomodations known as "common law" doesn't count despite several states acknowledging this type of accredidation. Years ago at Moody(Fighter base at the time) I tried to squeeze in to base housing, but had no proof of marriage on the books. Last time I checked, there is no federal recognition. I have seen single folks residing in on-base housing, but it is usually due to multiple vacancies(sometimes UPT bases, rare)when there are no other married takers. To be recognized by the Air Force does require documentation, but then again you might skate by with marking the married box on several forms, who knows. I did have to bring my marriage certificate in to prove my marriage to the Finance/MPF office for dependent pay circumstances and other benefits, but then again I had separate households for schooling purposes so maybe you really don't have to? After having the documented dependent box checked off on my LES, the certificate itself has been gathering dust for nearly 7 years now. You could give it a shot I guess - never heard of it being done and maybe someone on this site could enlighten us on any new or previously existing regs on this?

Guest Jollygreen

Bluesky, you must be legally married - with a marriage certificate and a spouse with you - for base housing.

There are exceptions (as noted above). Single parent is one example. Another can be if you are the legal guardian for your parents or a sibling. I've even seen where an O-6 Catholic priest had on-base housing (but that was many, many years ago, not sure about that rule now-a-days).

One thing I know for sure is that if you fudge the documents and lie about a marriage, when you are caught, you will be slammed. Its not worth it. Either make it legal or simply live off base.

Guest BlueSky99

So during UPT, I would still be considered single, and therefore I would have to live in a base dorm?

To be considered married by the Air Force, your spouse needs to be registered in DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System). To do this, you'll need to take a marriage certificate and your wife (or her applicable info) to MPF. The DEERS info is what goes to Finance, Tricare and (I believe) housing for proof of marriage.

To answer your second question, yes you would be considered single if you are not legally married. You won't necessarily have to live in the dorms - they only require non-married guys to live in the dorms when they are occupied below a certain percentage (I want to say 85%). If the dorms are filled more than that, you're free to get an apartment off base. In terms of getting a house on base, it's not likely, but like Air Guardian mentioned, it's possible. The caveat to base housing I've seen single guys get is that they were doubled up with roommates.

• 3 years later...
Guest hawg030

Im confused

Ok, my wedding is set for 18 May 2008, I commission May 9th 2008, and I report to IFS Jul 3 2008. So I have a few questions.

Question 1

If I were legally married, as In my fiance and I went and got the papers done prior to the service while we are still in college, would it help things go a bit more smoothly as far as finance, BAH ect.... Here is why I ask. My ROTC Detachment told me that my first assignment is IFS (pueblo Colorado) (TDY-En-Route, RNLT July 2) (Which means?) My fiance of course can not come, so will I recieve BAH for her to live at home? While I recieve lodging at IFS?

Like I said before, if we were married prior to all this, would the Air Force take all this into consideration? I wouldnt mind a rushed inprocessing, and my first duty to be a TDY. However I am concerned because, the way my DET cadre make it sound, at IFS, I will inprocess there into the air force... Needless to say, thats a little scary, since I have no clue whats going on, my cadre dont seem to either, and from what I hear, inprocessing can take a week or two just to get all the details hammered out. And I dont think IFS is the place to be worried about finance and if my Fiance has enough money to have a roof over her head.. Suggestions?

If I were legally married, as In my fiance and I went and got the papers done prior to the service while we are still in college, would it help things go a bit more smoothly as far as finance, BAH ect.... my first assignment is IFS (pueblo Colorado) (TDY-En-Route)

In your case, it won't matter whether you get married before or after your commissioning (unless you somehow get your det to put you into DEERS). Your information - DEERS and TDY - will not be input until you are at your PCS base (I'm assuming Pueblo doesn't have an MPF). At that time, MPF will input your information and finance will back-pay you appropriately. If you are not accomplishing official duties prior to IFS (therefore making you on 'active duty'), it doesn't matter whether you get married one month or one day before IFS - your paycheck starts when you get to IFS.

My fiance of course can not come, so will I recieve BAH for her to live at home?

Yes, assuming you are married before the TDY.

While I recieve lodging at IFS?

11 pages of IFS information

However I am concerned because, the way my DET cadre make it sound, at IFS, I will inprocess there into the air force.

Again, I wouldn't think they have a DEERS at IFS, but it doesn't matter whether you inprocess there or your UPT base. Just bring your wedding certificate and they'll input the info into DEERS. If you are married when you start active duty, then you will be (back) paid appropriately.

from what I hear, inprocessing can take a week or two just to get all the details hammered out.

No way. If you're talking about inprocessing to the Air Force (DEERS) - that shouldn't take more than a couple hours; it's just a bunch of paperwork to be filled out. If you're talking about inprocessing to a specific base, that shouldn't take more than a couple days.

And I dont think IFS is the place to be worried about finance and if my Fiance has enough money to have a roof over her head.. Suggestions?

Normally you can get an advance payment prior to a PCS. You basically get a lump sum payment which you can repay over the course of the next 12 months. Since you don't currently have a finance office, I don't know for sure how you would do that, but there has to be a way. If nobody here has an answer (try to PM 'Finance Guy'), I would recommend calling to the finance office at your UPT base.

Guest hawg030

Thanks for the insight. As you can tell im a little overly concerned about paying for her a place to live, she will be getting a job which of course helps, but also keeping up with her's and I's student loans. Fun Fun, not even married and Im already stressing about finance, Luckly IFS is only 6 weeks, and if need be I still have parents right.. And its not like I will be using my whole paycheck at Pueblo..

Student loan repayment doesn't begin until at least 6 months after graduation, so you'll have a few months to get things sorted out before you have to worry about that. Also, check into student loan consolidation...you can choose plans that offer you lower payments for the first few years while you are more fiscally challenged.

We also had a very short time frame after commissioning (commission 12 May, MFS 28 May, UPT class start date 14 June), and is wasn't as rushed as you would think. It's likely that you'll get quite a bit of cash for graduation/commissioning/wedding, so that can help you out while you are getting things worked out with Finance.

Good Luck!

I'm a WSO, so I didn't do IFS. However, I did OTS, and hindsight being 20/20, I would put her in with the folks while you're at IFS and wait to start the married life thing/get everything worked out at the UPT base.

We used the USAA Cadet loan or whatever, and got my wife a place to live for the 3 months and change I was at OTS. Huge waste of effort, stress, and money. In the long run, 6 weeks with the parents aren't going to hurt and the support/time spent right before you guys PCS will be nice. If you have movers come get your crap, she'll have someone there to help (the more the better, esp on the 1st one). Her time spent working whatever job could probably be better spent making connections for a more stable one wherever you're going to UPT.

Student loan repayment doesn't begin until at least 6 months after graduation, so you'll have a few months to get things sorted out before you have to worry about that. Also, check into student loan consolidation...you can choose plans that offer you lower payments for the first few years while you are more fiscally challenged.

2. Consolidation/deferment options can be your friend, but be smart.

Bottom line man, don't stress out about it. Sounds easy for me to say, but running your ass off trying to get paid, her find a job, a house, etc. all a MONTH OR 2 away from a PCS is tough, and some would say dumb. Keep it as simple as you can right now; your professional life is about to get compicated and home is the last place you want strife.

Why not get married at the JOP, and get a waiver for her to move in base housing while you are at IFS.

I had to move to Vance while my husband was still in ASBC because we had renters taking over the house on April 1.

We found out about a month before his OTS graduation that he was going to be goign straight to ASBC. By that time, we were in "contract" to be out by April 1.

Calling the housing office at the base you will be at, and see what they say.

Why not get married at the JOP, and get a waiver for her to move in base housing while you are at IFS.

I had to move to Vance while my husband was still in ASBC because we had renters taking over the house on April 1.

We found out about a month before his OTS graduation that he was going to be goign straight to ASBC. By that time, we were in "contract" to be out by April 1.

Calling the housing office at the base you will be at, and see what they say.

Wow Kayla, thats good info. So if I am going straight from commissioning from ROTC (9 May) to ASBC (17 June) then it might be possible for me and my wife to move in early to my UPT (15 Nov) base? I run a dorm on campus and they will be kicking us out May 13, so I will be homeless.

Dates:

9 May Commission

17 June ASBC

24 Aug IFS

13 Nov Sheppard, AFB, UPT

Wow Kayla, thats good info. So if I am going straight from commissioning from ROTC (9 May) to ASBC (17 June) then it might be possible for me and my wife to move in early to my UPT (15 Nov) base? I run a dorm on campus and they will be kicking us out May 13, so I will be homeless.

Dates:

9 May Commission

17 June ASBC

24 Aug IFS

13 Nov Sheppard, AFB, UPT

First off: Get her a POA. She can't do anything housing wise Unless she has that...

You can take her to ASBC with you. Spouse's can go! It'll suck ass for her... read other threads on ASBC... and that's your home (and honeymoon!) for 6wks.

While she is at ASBC with you, she can "apply" to housing at Sheppard. The housing office at Maxwell, is... interesting. There's a very nice, helpful lady there, and then there's a bitch (I was very close to complaining about her, but what would have been the point...) They can/will give you the housing application, you fill it out, give them a copy of your orders,They fax the app/orders as well as mailing the application and orders to Sheppard. Wait a day or so, and then have her call teh base housing office at Sheppard, and tell them that she needs to move on base, that you are doing a TDY-enroute to the base. They SHOULD let her move on base then, if not, they will tell you to write a waiver and so forth.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

While she is at ASBC with you, she can "apply" to housing at Sheppard. The housing office at Maxwell, is... interesting.

Awesome. Thanks a million. So I guess there is nothing we can do before we get to ASBC? If not, it is no big deal, I can get my parents to keep our stuff in their garage for a month or so. Thanks again!

Awesome. Thanks a million. So I guess there is nothing we can do before we get to ASBC? If not, it is no big deal, I can get my parents to keep our stuff in their garage for a month or so. Thanks again!

I'm not a ROTC expert, my husband went through OTS. I would guess that you could call TMO, have them pick your stuff, and have it put in storage while you are at ASBC, and if your then wife moves to Sheppard, she can have tmo deliver your stuff while you are at IFS.

Also, if you stay in TLF for 10 days (while waiting for housing) finance will pay you back.

And you should be able to qualify for the Dislocation Allowence as well. SO, money should not be a prob.

Lead Eagle,

Just call the housing people (GMH) here at Sheppard. They can fax you all the paper work that you need. My wife and I drove down here the week before I was slotted for ASBC. We even arrived a day or two before my entry date if I remember right. We stayed in a TLF for a week while they showed us some houses and got the one that was available for us ready. By the way, there's no shortage if you plan to live on base. Eventually, I had to leave for Maxwell and my wife continued to stay in TLF until the movers brought our stuff, I think a week or two weeks later. GMH isn't the quickest when it comes to getting houses ready so be flexible. This brings up two more quick points. Make sure that you have the okay from the housing folks and talk it over with your det before you have the movers pick up your stuff (which you schedule through TMO if you didn't already know) and you schedule a day for them to drop it off. Also, if you come (sts) to Sheppard before you go to ASBC just know that you're kind of doing it bass ackwards from what they expect, ie when it's time for them to issue you a plane ticket to get to Maxwell they plan on doing it from wherever you live now, not from Sheppard. If you do the "go to Sheppard route first" don't buy your own ticket. Have the travel office here at Sheppard buy it for you. A little bit of a hassle but worth it considering that the AF isn't going to reimburse you for a ticket if you buy your own. Just a craniums up, as there's no good reason for you to be $400 or so bucks out for a ticket that the AF is planning on buying. Anyway, it's doable, you just have to know that it's going to take some personal initiative and flexibility. If your det is worth anything they should at least help you help yourself. The people here at Sheppard were pretty helpful as well even though you'll have to explain yourself over and over again because you're doing something in the slightest way different.

Just to caviat (sp?) my experience we attempted all of this and received a lot of help with it because my wife was 8 months pregnant. So it may have been somewhat of a special case. I imagine though that as long as you do all of the work and make it as painless for those involved as possible, they won't have any good reason to tell you no. Just be persistent.

If you have any other questions you can PM me.

Ego

Ditto everything from Kayla and egochecks with a couple notes -

Make sure that you have the okay from the housing folks and talk it over with your det before you have the movers pick up your stuff (which you schedule through TMO if you didn't already know) and you schedule a day for them to drop it off.

I may be misreading this, but you don't set a date for your TMO shipment to be delivered until it has actually arrived. They will give you an estimated shipping time and TMO will contact you when it has arrived. It's no problem if you have it shipped to your UPT base prior to ASBC and it sits there for weeks until you arrive.

Also, if you come (sts) to Sheppard before you go to ASBC just know that you're kind of doing it bass ackwards from what they expect, ie when it's time for them to issue you a plane ticket to get to Maxwell they plan on doing it from wherever you live now, not from Sheppard. If you do the "go to Sheppard route first" don't buy your own ticket. Have the travel office here at Sheppard buy it for you.

While going to Sheppard first may be easier in terms of getting your wife settled and getting a house, you need to make sure it is documented as such on your orders. The original poster (hawg030) had TDY enroute on his orders (home of record to IFS, then UPT). If this is the case, TMO will not get you a ticket to Sheppard, then Maxwell, then back to Sheppard (this would be a PCS followed by TDY).

Ditto everything from Kayla and egochecks with a couple notes -

I may be misreading this, but you don't set a date for your TMO shipment to be delivered until it has actually arrived. They will give you an estimated shipping time and TMO will contact you when it has arrived. It's no problem if you have it shipped to your UPT base prior to ASBC and it sits there for weeks until you arrive.

You're right. I was thinking more in terms of make sure that you know this is what you're going to do and that it works out for you and yours before you have TMO pick up your belongings leaving you semi-homeless.

While going to Sheppard first may be easier in terms of getting your wife settled and getting a house, you need to make sure it is documented as such on your orders. The original poster (hawg030) had TDY enroute on his orders (home of record to IFS, then UPT). If this is the case, TMO will not get you a ticket to Sheppard, then Maxwell, then back to Sheppard (this would be a PCS followed by TDY).

I should have been more clear. We drove to Sheppard and then I flew out to Maxwell. They definitely won't buy you a ticket to Sheppard and then again to Maxwell unless your orders say otherwise.