Lifestyle flying E-type Aircraft (AWACS, JSTARS, RJ)

Guest DILLA

Guest mr_gordon777

Can anyone tell me what type of lifestyle a pilot flying an AWACS, JSTARS, or RJ usually lives? I have a rough idea of the missions of these jets, but not the crew lifestyle.

Long deployments, amount of flight time compared to the KC's or C-type jets? I searched, but didn't find much to answer my question.

[ 31. August 2006, 17:23: Message edited by: robot_chicken ]

I spent 4 years in AWACS (as an FE) and it's pretty laid back. They are not deployed to any sh1t holes and probably won't be for a long time. If you go to Kadena or Elmendorf there will be alot of 1-2 week TDY's to Thailand, Korea, Mainland Japan. They did Cope India last year.

I hear the guys that go to NATO AWACS have a great time going TDY to various vacation spots throughout Europe.

For the most part, if you want to be a home-body and not go anywhere for a few years, it is very possible.

The good thing about having 26 crew with you is that you always have plenty of people to party with when you are on the road. The bad thing is that you have 26 crew with you on the road.

You will rack up alot of hours. Flying two times a week at 10-12 hours a pop. There is plenty of opportunity to get school work, reading...ect done when you are droning in the orbit.

If you have any specific questions about AWACS, PM me.

RJ's, in theory, are going back to 60 day deployments, probably twice a year. RJ is very structured deployments. Cobra Ball and Combat Sent are a litte more "on the hook" type lifestyle, but not 120 days per year TDY. And heck, you can rely on the nav always, so you don't have to do anything as a co-pilot! Gear up, yes sir, done... ;)

I can handle gear up, yes sir, stuff! I'm heading over to the RC next month. My C-21 squadron is getting shut down @ Wright-Patt, so I'm on to the real world now.

Talking with some buds at Offutt now, they are doing 90 dayers in the RJ about once a year or so (a little over a 100 days by time you get home). They will be to the Deid mostly. The 45th guys are on the hook to deploy for a period of time (in which you may or may not go anywhere), and they go to much nicer places. (to include Hawaii, Japan, Alaska, Diego, etc...). Then you're off the hook for a while.

MK

[ 01. September 2006, 12:02: Message edited by: mmkk111 ]

Originally posted by mmkk111:

Talking with some buds at Offutt now, they are doing 90 dayers in the RJ about once a year or so (a little over a 100 days by time you get home).

Right...as of yesterday, the schedule will return to 60 day rotations.

Just for the record the RJ isn't an E per se. Boeing doesn't want their name anywhere near it!

One trend I've seen lately is dudes in RJ going on 1 deployment a year and not flying all that much at home. Not sure if it's a luck of the draw thing or the influx of lots (I mean lots, I don't know any of these kids) of new folks. I see our days overseas going down but I don't see that as a good thing. Flying at home is even less productive (speaking for backend types mind you) and come on it's the Died not Iraq. In your career you'll go to Kadena once, twice if you're one of the lucky few. Great TDY but short. Good group of folks, of course you have your douches/pogues/assbags but they are pretty few and far between. Good mission, I'd prefer more hours/TDY per year but I'm in the minority I think there. It's all in what you make it really.

Cooter

Originally posted by Cooter:

Just for the record the RJ isn't an E per se. Boeing doesn't want their name anywhere near it!

Ain't that the truth!

Originally posted by Cooter:

Flying at home is even less productive (speaking for backend types mind you) and come on it's the Died not Iraq.

Front-end: May be more productive at home since multiple approaches rarely happen while deployed. On the flip side, you will most likely get a little more air refueling practice while deployed. Plus, as an added bonus 10 HOURS OF AUTOPILOT ON!!!

Are C-21 guys still going straight to AC school? When you go to RC FTU is that where they decide which aircraft you go to?

Depends. Yes.

I've only been an AC in the C-21 for a couple months....what will they do with a guy like me? I won't get my IP ticket since we're closing and I've only got a year in the Lear. I know nothing…..but I can shoot a sweet VMC coupled ILS into ATL

MK