B-2 Spirit

Spartacus

So, since when did they start dropping B-2's in UPT? I thought that was something that you couldn't get until later like the F-117 etc.

Can someone explain this to me? What makes the AF decide to drop certain planes in UPT and not others?

I don't know when the first one was dropped, but it happens every now and then - maybe once a year or so. I think the last one was to a girl from Vance last year or the year before. No big deal for a UPT drop. It's not like it's a billion dollars or anything. Oh wait...

Guest jk227

CBM also had one at the beginning of the FY I believe

[ 20. June 2005, 22:58: Message edited by: Joey ]

Guest CMSUpilot

They usually will drop 2 B-2s a year. There are talks of uping that number from what I've heard to get some younger folks in there.

I got the B-2 last drop, and we had one a couple of years ago as well. I had heard about the one at Columbus, but not at Vance.

They go through a modified PIT down at Randolph in the C-model I believe. Then I think they transition back to the A Model at Whiteman and teach in the companion trainer program there. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.

Guest KoolKat

Yeah, instructors teaching soon to be instructors to be instructors. Get it, got it, good. :D

Originally posted by BeerMan:

If you drop a B-2 out of UPT you don't go straight to flying the B-2. You go to T38 PIT in the A Model and then go re-teach MWS guys comming in to fly the B-2 how to fly the T-38 again. After PIT and after about 2-3 years as an IP you start flying the B-2. Vance dropped a B-2 in 0508 and that's what the dude is doing.

When I went to Whiteman a year ago, the current setup was for 2 LTs straight out of UPT each fiscal year. One of them would fly the T-38 for 18 months before going to B-2 FTU, and the other one would go straight to FTU.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Vetter:

They go through a modified PIT down at Randolph in the C-model I believe. Then I think they transition back to the A Model at Whiteman and teach in the companion trainer program there. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.

It does to me.

At least the $2 Billion BBPOS has an ejection seat. Unfortunately, when you pull the handles the only thing that happens is an Aticle 15 pops out with a yellow sticky attached saying "Here you go, now keep trying to fly this thing."

I hear they have reclining lawn chairs for long missions and 24 hour sims.

Fly 28 hours at 40K, puke some IAMs out when the computer decides the time is right, never see anything blow up, yawn 53,236 times during the mission, RTB. Sounds like a good mission for a UCAV.

Yuck. Good on them but no thanks.

• 6 years later...

Alright, here's a question about B-2 aerodynamics. If you watch the above video, you'll notice that on takeoff (and in landing videos, too) the B-2's extreme outboard control surfaces are deployed to some extent - both the upper and lower segments... sort of like an A-10's aileron/speed brake system. Does anyone know why? It seems like it would just be adding drag. My only guess would be that this could provide some sort of yaw stability at lower airspeeds by creating an equal amount of drag at the tips of each wing.

I did come across this Popular Science article from 1989 which says that the said control surfaces ("drag rudders," labeled 1 in the article) are indeed deployed on approach and takeoff, but it doesn't seem to explain why.

Thanks!

Edited by CPE1704TKS