RIF Beginning

WHAP

Guest TheBurt

Force Shaping and Bergmans three rules led me to the Air National Guard!!! For those of you effected it sucks, it's depressing, but not the end. Just to let you know it happened to me and about 1000 other Lt.s in 1990. All effected choose Big Blue with starry eyes, dreaming of the Big Career promised to you by the "aim high commercials" and more recently "Cross into the Blue", you, like I, bought it, you worked your ass off getting good grades, 4 years of ROTC, OTS, countless tests, physicals, clearances, interviews, drilling etc...... your loyalty has been to the Air Force, you immersed yourself, promises were made.............. all broken by the needs of the Air Force, they even subtly prepared you for this........ do I empathize with you, yes, sympathy no. This is a great lesson to learn at an early age!!!! Loyalty to any large organization goes one way.......you to the organization, period.

Take this opportunity to regroup, you may even find there are a lot more rewarding things in the civilian world besides "Air Force Scientist" "misslier" etc....... There are a lot of options for you...... I chose the Guard something they hid from me in all the AS 100-400 classes in ROTC, had a 5 year stint in law enforcement and could not have been happier with the outcome of my career path. Think about the much touted Clintonesque "core values" that the Air Force spouts to you, one is Integrity, do you think the Air Force was totally forthcoming about it's intentions to RIF you?

Reread Bergmans 3 principles.

Guest KoolKat

First off, again, good post. Pretty motavational, backed-up by personal experiences...nice.

This one isn't easy, but I'm going to try anyway...

"All effected choose Big Blue with starry eyes, dreaming of the Big Career promised to you by the "aim high commercials" and more recently "Cross into the Blue", you, like I, bought it, you worked your ass off getting good grades, 4 years of ROTC, OTS, countless tests, physicals, clearances, interviews, drilling etc......"

Although mother surely told some top-notch individuals to "take a hike," it wasn't all of them. "All effected" is definitly not right.

Even with such motavational words, many in this group will not look for other avenues to return. Some because their bitter, and rightfully so for the reasons your post mentioned, but many because they now realize that they didn't do it for the CORRECT reason, also mentioned.

I was having a conversation about this with my father, whom is QUITE out of the loop. Figure a 1LT makes 4k a month...with the roughly 800 Lts RIFed that accounts to 38.4 million bucks a year.

Then we tried to have a conversation about why mother would make this decision...agreed to kill the conversation pretty quick.

"Think about the much touted Clintonesque "core values" that the Air Force spouts to you, one is Integrity, do you think the Air Force was totally forthcoming about it's intentions to RIF you?"

I like the core value of intergity. It's one of the most admirable traits I see in an individual. That's what we promote, right? That quality in an individual?

How does that translate to a "large organization?" If every member of this said large organization has integrity, would this have not happened? I've never thought of it this way before.

"This is a great lesson to learn at an early age!!!!"

It is indeed.

I agree with everything he said in his post, I wish all of you guys the best. You've all gained some awesome experience. Something that where ever you go, people will look up too.

BENDY

Edit: small typo... johann! :D

[ 17. May 2006, 02:00: Message edited by: Bender ]