Military rank structure

Guest pltmk

Guest rotorhead

Man, I feel even more blessed to have gone through as a student, then after an assignment, return to IP at UPT-H...

I never heard of anyone saluting anyone INSIDE at a tabletop brief.

The only indoor saluting I've ever heard of was when reporting in to the unit commander.

On the other hand, the student, regardless of rank, stood when the IP approached the table (as the respect card), said good morning, and the day began.

Outdoors, I never heard of a student captain saluting a FAIP Lt IP....the damn Lt better be saluting the captain outside, IMHO.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Formal recognition of authority in the flight room, I suppose (aka, Student Harassment Program). It is still this way. During Phase II about six months ago, we had a brand-new FAIP in our who had managed to start UPT immediately after commissioning out of OTS. Long story short, he ended up as a Mission-Qual'd FAIP as a 2Lt. You think it's weird seeing a Capt salute a 1Lt? How about our SRO saluting this guy in the flight room. That's the training environment for you ...

There are many guys that revert to those formailities in the C-17. You go out with your crew on the road and have drinks (relaxed environment). Everyone goes by first names. As soon as you offer instruction as a captain to another captain in the jet, now all of a sudden it's "yes sir." I'm a captain, you're a captain, don't call me sir!

There are many guys that revert to those formailities in the C-17. You go out with your crew on the road and have drinks (relaxed environment). Everyone goes by first names. As soon as you offer instruction as a captain to another captain in the jet, now all of a sudden it's "yes sir." I'm a captain, you're a captain, don't call me sir!

So I'm a Capt, been one for a while and am now at a new squadron/base/command and say "Hey Sir How're you doin?" to a Major. He says don't call me sir, Noted. New Lt Nav's straight out of the schoolhouse working in a shop, I walk into said shop and they say "Hey Sir" me "Don't call me sir"... Whatever

cheers :beer: