C-21s right out of UPT?

Guest pilothoper

Guest pilothoper

I was just wondering, is it possible/how hard is it to get a C-21 slot right out of UPT? I would think that if it is possible to do, it would be pretty competitive. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Guest C-21 Pilot

Still possible...yes, but expect few and very far between with the current downsizing.

How hard are they to get out of UPT? That all depends on how well you stack up. If your the #1 dude, and one falls in your drop, you have a good chance. If you are towards he bottom, you can usually count against it since they are desirable airframes/missions.

I have plenty of C-21 info I can provide via PM if wanted.

Guest C-21 Pilot

I agree w/ Cowboy...

There has been speculation in the past of trying to outfit the OSA mission w/ Lear 55's. I can forsee plenty of brass having to go thru metal detectors enough that in about 7-10 years, when all of the F-22 BS is gone, that more $$$ is spent on white jets.

C-21's aren't that hard to get out of pilot training in my experience. The past three drops have all had them and the guys that wanted them got them. Although a nice assignment, a lot of guys these days don't want to give up thier "white jet tour" right out of UPT. They's rather save it after an MWS tour keep they're options open. C21Cowboy is right, expect Andrews or Scott, although a guy a few weeks ago landed Ramstein.

LT4Life-

I'm not sure if you know, but the entire fleet of C-21s will be cut by more than 50% starting this fall. Therefore, so will the amount of slots out of UPT. The past 3 drops will be nothing like the future drops, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cropdusterdave

Can somebody enlighten me as to what the training pipeline following UPT is like for the C-21? Timewise?

Originally posted by C21Cowboy:

LT4Life-

I'm not sure if you know, but the entire fleet of C-21s will be cut by more than 50% starting this fall. Therefore, so will the amount of slots out of UPT. The past 3 drops will be nothing like the future drops, IMO.

Point taken. I've read that in numerous places and should have mentioned that in my post. I just wanted the guy to know that although it is a fantastic assignment, it is rarely guys number one pics directly out of flight school. Lots o guys want to go 'operational' and keep the white jet tour for later on. Hope I didn't step on any toes and I apologize for any confusion.

Guest C-21 Pilot

As the saying goes "If I would have known then what I know now....

I wouldn't trade my C-21 experience for anything operational. Folks who go operational their 1st jet...kuddos on you, hope you are enjoying life and your plane. I am too.

As C-21 Cowboy mentioned, w/ the Fleet being cut by 50%, who's to say that *everybody* is going to be afforded a white jet tour? Funnier things have happened.

If I would have went operational out of UPT, I'd probably be a C-17, waiting for my day to hop into a white jet (if that's the mentality)...then all of the sudden, AFPC re-organizes my 10 yr commitment and "Wham!"...sorry Capt ###, you'll be operational another 6 years.

Everybody whom I have flown with here at Ramstein (to include myself) has either been a DG from UPT, or this was their #1 pick...so "it not being students #1 pick"...I still don't buy it.

As far as where to expect to be stationed...Ramstein is beefing up our arsenal by 15%...we currently maintain about a 1.6 crew ratio, and that will remain constant as we lose jets (as so speculated). Don't expect a slew of ETAR assignments in the next few months.

I know that the C-21 was my first pick! I'm just finishing up the C21 training here in Dallas and then I'm off to Keesler. I'm sure I'll have no regrets. I am here w/ two other LTs and C-21s were their first and third picks.

OKC? I know that ADW is closing down for a few days. I believe they are "deploying" over to IAD until they reopen. At least that's the last I've heard.

That's a good five days I won't have to sit around on 9-row waiting for trans to take me to base ops!

MK

Oh yeah, C-21's were my first pick too.

[ 12. May 2006, 20:47: Message edited by: mmkk111 ]

Timeline:

I finished UPT 28 Oct. I was in academics in Dallas on 5 Nov. Two weeks later, drove to Keesler. First flight 27 Nov. Checkride on 6 Dec. Drove back to Vance, picked up my stuff, said bye to my classmates still waiting for FTU slots, inprocessed Peterson 15 Dec. Flew six months "operational" as a 2nd Lt.

There is no better way to get hours and all-around flying know-how in a first assignment. It put me ahead of many of the guys in my yeargroup who went straight to an MWS. Couple that with a sweet location like Ramstein or C-Springs, and you can keep your white jet tour, 12 hour days trip-turning in some BFE hick town all to yourself (Corpus excluded).

If I had to do it over again, I would absolutely take a C-21 with a ____ follow-on than that same aircraft directly.

Guest gtyj98

21s are great...too bad they're going away. some say it can hurt your career, however it depends. i spent 2.5 years in the lear, then went to init qual for 17s. i made ac w/in 6 months at my next base, ironically close to when some of my upt buds made ac in their mws.

21s are a great spring board to other things. i wouldn't dare say that 21s are even close to being hard--the mission is EASY as sh!t compared to an mws, but it's a blast as an lt still wanting to party, fly and get other admin stuff out of the way (masters, sos, etc).