FalconView questions

Guest BLWHLE

Guest BLWHLE

I'm a T-45c stud at Nas Meridian. I just started ONAVS(VR and IR routes). It is taking me way too long to do these vr routes on falconview mostly because I suck at it. The instructors just breezed through a couple of examples and watched over our shoulders as we did ours. Does anyone know where I can get some written out falconview instructions to be a little more efficient at this stuff?

Guest DangerousLT

There's not much to it - actually pretty user friendly. What are you having trouble with?

Falconview beats the heck out of planning/plotting manually. Somewhere in your unit should be a instruction manual, though you could just take some free time and play around with it (sts). You can figure it out pretty quickly. It will do dang near everything you need it to do.

Guest Arborist

Maybe some of your buddies have a gouge sheet/cliff notes that can help you with the basics until you are more familiar with it.

The only way to learn it is to have someone show you the basics and learn yourself from there. My class was just starting low levels in 38's when I went DNIF for a few weeks. I spent a lot of that time just trial and error on that program and that helped a ton, much faster with it now

Guest BLWHLE

I suck with computers, so flying hornets should be no problem, right? I was a mechanical engineering major and I had a lot of trouble mastering all of the programs that came along with that. I had an instructor pick me up for a 5 leg onav x-country, we leave this friday. I have 2 onav sims tomorrow so because I still suck at doing these charts I'm spazzing out a little bit. Normally all us studs would be in the onav room gutting it out together, which makes it a lot easier. I'll just suck it up, thanks for the replies!

Guest gtyj98

ask a guy more senior in your phase of training; i asked an ip candidate to help me when i went through iq at altus and it helped a lot

Guest pavesooner

Go to the help page on Falcon View or PFPS....everything you need to know will be in there...

We have been using these programs for about 7 years and it is so simple. It all comes with repitition...

Guest airwinger

Prob too late by now since you leave tomorrow. Asking a buddy ahead of you is prob your best bet.

Something most of us didn't figure out for a long time is that every single VR/IR route is in the database along with the required route. While you should re-check the coords manually, entering them by hand like they teach you in the class is a huge waste of time.

Finally check the hard drive of those computers in the sim building. When my class went through we made a point of saving all our files in easily found locations with helpful names so as to hook up future buddies. Chances are the lads ahead of you had to plan the very same route.

Guest C-21 Pilot

You can also have the guys at Hill come out to your unit/base, etc and conduct an awesome FV brief/demo...

I believe that they also have a good PPT preentation to boot....

Guest C-21 Pilot

You can also have the guys at Hill come out to your unit/base, etc and conduct an awesome FV brief/demo...

I believe that they also have a good PPT preentation to boot....

Guest thefranchise

I was talking to CB UPT guys and i found it odd they werent allowed to use FV for any mission planning. at Vance we were REQUIRED to have FV charts and maps for every low level and vfr leg and your checkride was required to be FV as well.

• 1 year later...

There's a function within the program that will allow you to use a nearby navaid (to a route check point) and determine the distance and radial. Does anyone recall how to find that function?

I used this function often but it has been so long since I used the progam that this is all I remember: you right click on the point after it isn entered in your CFP and somewhere in there is an option to reference it off a navaid...good luck.

in CFPS, establish a point by name, coords, drag drop in fvw, etc.,

within the description container type @###. @ being the function and ### being the three letter of the navaid.

Works also with @XXXXX for intersections, or @KXXX for airfields...

edit: (it appears that three X's in a row is naughty...)

Edited by BFM this

With CFPS Open

Create your point as described above.

Once you have your point defined, right click on the Fix/Point or Description Field.

Select Calculate Bearing/Range Cross Reference and select what you would like to reference your point from (i.e NAVAID, Airfield, Drop Zone)

Hope this helps