Motorcycle at UPT

Guest Apollo

I'd like to take my motorcycle with me to UPT. That, or even buy a new one down there. However, will I have anyway to get her under roof? I also don't want a new motorcycle just to see it get trashed by the elements.

Suggestions on the matter? Do I leave my bike at home?

Just be prepared to catch shit from people who a) think motorcycles are death toys, or B) think you are trying to be Maverick from Top Gun. But more importantly, be sure to complete a MSF course (available at most bases) and have the right gear IAW AFI 91-207:

• Operator and any passenger must wear a protective helmet. Note: NOTE: Helmets must meet, as a minimum, Department of Transportation (DoT) standards and be properly worn and fastened. Helmets may also meet other standards such as the Snell Memorial Foundation or the American National Standards Institute. If stationed overseas, personnel may use host-nation certified, equivalent helmets.

• To increase visibility of riders, they are encouraged to affix reflective material to their helmets.

• Operator and any passenger must wear impact resistant goggles or a full-face shield on their helmet. EXCEPTION: Goggles or a full-face shield are not required for the operator if the motorcycle is equipped with a windshield that is equal in height to or above the top of the helmet of the properly upright-seated operator.

• Brightly colored or contrasting vest or jacket as an outer upper garment during the day and reflective during the night. Outer upper garment will be clearly visible and not covered.

• Long sleeved shirts or jackets, full-fingered motorcycle gloves or mittens, and long trousers.

• Sturdy footwear. Leather boots or over-the ankle shoes are strongly encouraged.

Cheers! M2

They will make you show proof of the course. I'm not sure about AETC, but USAFE requires that you do a MSF every 3 years. I was the m/c guy for my squadron at LN and it looks like that's going to become the AF standard.

UCF, you'll probably have to take it again, unless you can find your course completion card.

I am still using my MSF card from 1993 (it is almost exactly 12 years old...I was going through the course this week), and no one has ever said I need to repeat it. I really didn't gain much from the Advanced course when I took it back then...

Cheers! M2

Yeah, I took a MSF course here in ohio. I guess

a cover is really the only option I will have.

I'm not going to have a crotch rocket, so maybe

I'll avoid the shit.

My class got blind sided by the "ACC requirement" to take at least an intermediate course when we arrived here at DM. Sure, we've got nothing but time on our hands...

Here's another twist: in order to get signed up for said IC, you have to ride with a "mentor". OK, so they want the fellas that just get their licenses to "season" with a "mentor" on the open road before they go for the IC. OK so far. I walk into wing safety and because I've already got 8 years on my bike, I'm GTG for the experienced rider course.

Fast forward a month, my bud, who's got way more exp than I do (has raced bikes, etc) is told that he has to go the "mentor" route (turns out, I managed to skate somehow).

I'm all for the "mentor" program and any other straws that CC's can grasp to try and get a handle on our 2-wheeled fatality rate, but where are we drawing the common sense line anyway?

Guest Xtndr50boom
Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

Operator and any passenger must wear a protective helmet. Note: NOTE: Helmets must meet, as a minimum, Department of Transportation (DoT) standards and be properly worn and fastened.

A 10 mx guy here at SUU died about two months ago....Apparently not fastening your helmet sort of negates the whole purpose of wearing a helmet. Ran into the side of an 18 wheeler making a turn. Worst things about it were his girlfriend following in her car 500 feet behind. And it's not classified as a line of duty death D2 him not wearing the gear properly.

His mistakes

Guest AirGuardian

Been riding crotch rockets for well-over 18 years. A few spills in the beginning, but that's the cost of not respecting the equipment and/or thinking I was in complete control. Many courses later, track day, and plenty of cross-states if you will(true rice burners are not meant for this) and I still remain respectful and ride like I'm invisible - cus you are! If you don't, someone else will teach you.

I have a rare wife that let me store it in the living room years ago (apartment times) and that's what we did for storage... Granted, only if it's from the Rice Bike motherland would I store something over carpet with nothing below...

M3's right, the MSF course's is helpful for the newbie, but not so much for the experienced. Go to the Laguna Seca Cali course for true experience gained. "Mentor" Schmentor program, it should all be according to your ticket history if they want to start somewhere! Or nothing at all! Just knee-JERK reaction going on as usual! Insurance prices drop off around 27 year old category - hmmmm.

Just sold the 900RR last month and now in the mood for the new 05 GSXR 1000 or 06 ZX-10R. Good thing I'm headed to Europe for several months so I can see what they're gett'n... and compare! Stay rubber side down folks!

On a side note for UPT motorcyclers... Try and take it easy during your UPT year. Whole lot more assistance gained on keeping you in the cockpit AFTER you've earned your wings then while your in training for them... Joy ride, don't speed ride to ease your pressure - or find a good track! Alabama has opened a cycle dedicated track recently - does no good for Laughlin guys, but you're in the middle of no-where anyway!

[ 20. September 2005, 23:44: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

All this talk about street bikes, do any of you guys ride on the dirt? Just curious about how many motocrossers we have around here.

Vance had some good tracks for MX riding near Stillwater and OKC.

MK

[ 21. September 2005, 08:15: Message edited by: mmkk111 ]

I am sure if they had a mentorship program here in Texas I would end up with some guy on a Fat Boy (it's a Harley for those uninitiated). I am sure it would be fun trying to go slow enough on my 1000RR to let him show me how to "ride"

I know a few guys who do track days up north of here, I'd love to go but the fear of scratching my Repsol bodywork is too great!

Cheers! M2

Guest AirGuardian

M3, you have a Repsol Edition 1000RR making it an 05! Niiiiice. I'm not too keen on the new CBR1000RR for 06, we'll see what it can do. Not like many people can really squeeze out more than 70% of what these bikes have to offer today! Dial in 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10 and see what you think. I'll turn this discussion into a PM as it should be!. The Repsol paint scheme is definitely nothing you want to lose laying her down... or take a highside for that matter! I'm still pondering one in the future, but the Kaw/Suz updates are quite impressive. Dirt matches are great, but I get a bit too stove piped and will definitely do the Nestle Crunch... whereas the street bikes tend to keep me eyeful which is better!

Ensure your helmet straps are actually fastened...

[ 21. September 2005, 12:21: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

I was thinking about taking my track bike to UPT (I think they would crap themselves seeing it in the driveway) but Hallet Motorsports park is over an hour away, and well its way too distracting for me. Guess I'll leave it at home.... :(

However these motocross tracks sound interesting, sounds like safer stress relief than cagers on the roads or 150 mph around a track... hmmmm

Arghhh... I should probably just concentrate on flying this year...

Sidenote... anyone want to start an endurance race team of AF pilots in 2007????

GSXR6

Have you ever ridden dirt bikes? I think your last comment on concentrating on UPT is the best idea, you'll be having enough fun that you won't really miss the riding. Of course if you need a place to keep your track bike, I've still got some room in my garage...

AG

Yep, I fell in love with that Repsol paint scheme and was lucky enough to find one at a great price. It was destiny, I tell ya! It is a great bike and I had planned to do some Hill Country riding this weekend, but Rita has other plans. She's a Cat 5 and inbound! At least my sod will get watered (if it doesn't wash away!)

Cheers! M2

I got a 05 YZ 250 about a year ago. I love that thing. It's my first 250. I've been riding 125's since I was about 12. And 80's before that. I miss the racing side of things, but I can't afford to kill myself and I'm not fearless like I used to be !

MK