Army Aviation and service information

Guest Coner

Guest 60flyer

Jared,

For a Warrant, I've heard of maybe 2-3 that got FW out of flight school. VERY rare, usually they don't look at you until you've done you 6 yr commitment. Why give it to you when they know they have you for 6 yrs at least. It's pretty much a reward system-good evaluations, who you know and the mystery factor(how the he@@ did that guy get it type of thing). It seems a little easier for LT's to get it out of flight school, but not much more often. Most FW units are detachments or small OSA units with not much brass, mostly warrants running the show, especially in the guard/reserve. Join the Army expecting to fly helos, then it will be a bonus to get FW.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jared

Congrats on being selected for WOFT. As stated above, fixed wing is extremely competitive on the active duty side of the house. Majority of the fixed wing slots are given to the Army Guard/Reserves. Since you're going active duty take a look at this website, https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/opwod/fxwing.htm. Read it thoroughly, all your stars must be lined up in perfect order to be selected for fixed wing transition. Helicopters make up 92% of their a/c and most of the fixed wing a/c belong to the Guard/Reserves. You'll soon find out that an Army fixed wing assignment is much sought after. Besides providing commercial aviation advantages, it also could keep you from living in the field environment and sleeping in tents and using outhouses .

Now I have a suggestion that you may want to take advantage of depending on your age. If you want to serve on active duty until retirement, you may want to transfer to the AF after servicing your initial army active duty commitment. In the AF, they have less helicopters than the Army has fixed wing. If you decide to go that route on active duty, you must meet these two big hurdles. Firstly, you must have a 4 yr accredited college degree. Secondly, must not be older than 35 in attending AF Officer Training School (OTS). Even though you will hold an Army Warrant Officer Commission as a CW2, the AF will require you to attend OTS (12 weeks - Maxwell AFB, Al) and being commissioned as a 2Lt. The AF does not have warrant officer serving in their ranks since 1992.

I was a flying Army Warrant and then transfer to the AF after completing college. IF you want fixed wing, definitely go AF after your Army tour. No comparison in regard to quality of life, a/c selection and career advancement. The biggest difference between the two services is that the AF is run/commanded by Pilots from top to bottom. Pilots calll the shots everytime. You'll find out in the Army, the non flyers run their show and always will. And, that's the way it should be.

If you want to serve your country as an aviator, the Army is a great start. But, the AF can use your talents if you wish to cross over. Just, remember those two hurdles and fly safe.

By the way, I salute you on joining our exclusive flying club and serving our nation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ARMYFXDWNGPLT

The only reason why I would try to steer you away from becoming a WO instead of a LT is that there is the chance that you can become a fixed wing pilot right out of flight school. To tell you the truth as much as army aviators want to fly fixed wing, helicopters are more challenging and more exciting than a c-12. As a recent graduate from flight school if you have any questions drop me a line and I will tell you how things work out there at Fort Rucker.

• 10 months later...
Guest jkfaust

Well, my Air Force ambitions are out because I got too old, and I still want to fly for the military so I'm thinking Army, particularly Guard. But, I don't know if I should go Officer or Warrent Officer though. I know pay is better as an Officer, and of course you've got rank, but WO get more flight time and don't sit behind a desk nearly as much. So, just looking for some insight as to which people around here would do in my situation. Thanks.

Guest jkfaust

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking the guard so it won't be my main source of income, so the money isn't much of a factor.

One, additional thing, I didn't mention is that I'd like the possibility of switching to the Air Force once my initial commitment is over, and obviously I'd have to be an Army officer to enter as an Air Force officer. I would be 35 when my Army commitment is over and too old to go to OTS without a waiver. I really don't have a guess if that would work out though. So I guess its really a question of being a WO, which I think I would be happier with, or be an Officer with a goal of flying for the AF later and hoping the gamble would pay off.

Here's some sound advice from a favorite band of mine: Reach for the sky 'cause tomorrow may never come. In other words, live with no regrets. If your ultimate goal is to become an Air Force officer, do whatever you must to make it happen. You get one shot at life. Do you really want to sit around 30 years from now and wonder "what if?"

Before making your decision, though, be sure to talk to someone knowledgable on entering the Air Force at 35 to make sure you're armed with all the knowledge you can get before jumping in feet first.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jt1572

Do the flying units in the Army deploy for a year or more like the ground units. Im not sure how the Army is structured. Are flying units attached to certain ground units and travel with them? I was wondering what the general lifestyle of an Army helo pilot is these days.

• 6 months later...
Guest attackpilot
Well, my Air Force ambitions are out because I got too old, and I still want to fly for the military so I'm thinking Army, particularly Guard. But, I don't know if I should go Officer or Warrent Officer though. I know pay is better as an Officer, and of course you've got rank, but WO get more flight time and don't sit behind a desk nearly as much. So, just looking for some insight as to which people around here would do in my situation. Thanks.

[ 06. August 2006, 20:35: Message edited by: Toro ]

If you want to fly in the Army, Warrant Officer is the way to go. As far as transferring from Army to AF, it can be done at age 35. I was a Warrant Officer and transfered into the Blue at age 33. As long as you are a rated military officer and go thru the inter service transfer process including an ARB (Aeronautical Review Board) it is possible. Good luck.

• 4 years later...

Sorry about bringing this back from a 5 year coma, but I think this is the proper forum for my question.

Quick backstory, 22 years young, recently got an AAS from a "semi" accredited institution. Just got accepted to SIU Carbondale and their Aviation Flight program. Just found out that none of my credits will transfer. Am now a 22 (will be 23 when the school year starts) Freshman who will be wants to join AROTC. Probably won't get the AROTC scholarship because since my credits didn't transfer, they have to reference my high school grades and ACT scores (which are garbage). Don't feel competitive enough since I'm almost 4 years out of high school and have nothing to show for it. Always wanted needed to learn how to fly and serve a higher purpose for myself and my country. Finally made the decision to pursue that dream. Now am unsure about my future dude to the possibility of me not being accepted into AROTC (with a scholarship), or being too old by the time I commission in order to go to IERW.

Question is... Should I just forgo the PPL and all the added debt and apply for the WO program via the civilian application route??

Should I go to SIU, get my PPL and some instructing time, then apply for the WO program?

Could I do the first two years of AROTC, get my PPL, and drop out and apply to the WO program before I swear in my Junior year?

Should I stay the 4 years and commission and see how it turns out? (Albeit in debt up to my ears from aviation school)

I originally wanted to join the AF but feel that since SIU has to reference my high school grades (that are from 3-4 years ago) that the AFROTC det will not want anything to do with me. I've heard on here the the Army is a little more hard up for people than Big Blue, and I'd have a better chance starting with them.

I have no problem eating the humble pie as a 23 year old freshman, but if I could avoid all that debt (and all the associated hangovers from attending SIU) and go right into the WO program and live in the cockpit, I would do it. However, I would then be lacking a Bachelors degree, which curbs my future career.

Sorry if this has all been covered, and just ignore it if it has, I'll keep looking through here and all the links listed on here.

Thanks