Does being a non-rated AD AF O make it harder to get a guard/reserve pilot slot?

jxbh

Question

AD AF non-rated LT looking at possibly applying for a guard/reserve pilot slot down the road. I would've thought that being an O already would be a benefit, since you wouldn't have to go to OTS and could go to UPT and subsequently be back at the squadron flying quicker than off the street hires, but in talking with some other folks it sounds like this may be the opposite? Any folks who have sat/currently sit on hiring boards have any insight? I wouldn't let this dissuade me if I decide this is a path I want to pursue, but I am curious on yall's thoughts. 

Edited by jxbh

6 answers to this question

On 1/16/2024 at 11:18 AM, jxbh said:

AD AF non-rated LT looking at possibly applying for a guard/reserve pilot slot down the road. I would've thought that being an O already would be a benefit, since you wouldn't have to go to OTS and could go to UPT and subsequently be back at the squadron flying quicker than off the street hires, but in talking with some other folks it sounds like this may be the opposite? Any folks who have sat/currently sit on hiring boards have any insight? I wouldn't let this dissuade me if I decide this is a path I want to pursue, but I am curious on yall's thoughts. 

Pretty much identical situation as you, interested to hear responses!

I will say that from my personal experience (guard/reserve apps and interviews for about two years) I specifically received feedback from multiple interviews that the main reason I was not chosen was primarily this. However, I don't know if this is a consistent sentiment or specifically where I was applying/rushing (mainly fighter units). Once I promoted and handed in my applications with Capt on them, the interviews started being almost non-existent. I have also heard of multiple O-3s who were accepted for guard/reserve UPT slots, especially in heavy units.

I think part of the reason is that the board is hiring a 2Lt position to fill your younger CGO ranks in the squadron, and hiring a 1Lt or Capt with a few years of experience doesn't fill that slot for as long. As to the non-rated side, being non-rated previously myself and going through UPT, I could see where units would count a rated dude higher. There were things that those dudes already knew going into UPT that others had to learn. Like you said, I wouldn't be dissuaded, just know you're really going to have to present a great case to the hiring board on why they should pick you.

Edited by Av8

4 hours ago, Av8 said:

I will say that from my personal experience (guard/reserve apps and interviews for about two years) I specifically received feedback from multiple interviews that the main reason I was not chosen was primarily this. However, I don't know if this is a consistent sentiment or specifically where I was applying/rushing (mainly fighter units). Once I promoted and handed in my applications with Capt on them, the interviews started being almost non-existent. I have also heard of multiple O-3s who were accepted for guard/reserve UPT slots, especially in heavy units.

I think part of the reason is that the board is hiring a 2Lt position to fill your younger CGO ranks in the squadron, and hiring a 1Lt or Capt with a few years of experience doesn't fill that slot for as long. As to the non-rated side, being non-rated previously myself and going through UPT, I could see where units would count a rated dude higher. There were things that those dudes already knew going into UPT that others had to learn. Like you said, I wouldn't be dissuaded, just know you're really going to have to present a great case to the hiring board on why they should pick you.

Thank you for the reply. Heavies are my primary goal so at least it's comforting to hear that Os being hired were more focused in heavy units. Did you end up getting picked up by a heavy unit? Or did a fighter unit end up taking you on?

Edited by jxbh

18 hours ago, jxbh said:

Thank you for the reply. Heavies are my primary goal so at least it's comforting to hear that Os being hired were more focused in heavy units. Did you end up getting picked up by a heavy unit? Or did a fighter unit end up taking you on?

I ended up getting selected active duty for UPT and was lucky enough to track T-38s. Still a little jealous of the guard/reserve fighter dudes, but i'm not complaining at all haha

• Like 1

I don't think thats a sentiment held by every squadron, especially not in the heavy world. My reserve unit hired 3 folks, 2 of us were active duty captains. I think having air force knowledge does give you a slight leg up in that it made me feel more comfortable interacting with everyone, but at the end of the day they just want someone who is qualified and that they can see being stuck with for 10+ years. There were plenty of highly qualified young studs at the interview with us (ivy league college students, engineers, etc) so it’s easy to get some imposter syndrome.

Just focus on making your application as strong as possible, PPL is virtually a requirement at this point, and most importantly network with people at the unit prior. Knowing people at the squadron is 100% what got my average ass to the interview phase. 

19 minutes ago, Yeti_72 said:

I don't think thats a sentiment held by every squadron, especially not in the heavy world. My reserve unit hired 3 folks, 2 of us were active duty captains. I think having air force knowledge does give you a slight leg up in that it made me feel more comfortable interacting with everyone, but at the end of the day they just want someone who is qualified and that they can see being stuck with for 10+ years. There were plenty of highly qualified young studs at the interview with us (ivy league college students, engineers, etc) so it’s easy to get some imposter syndrome.

Just focus on making your application as strong as possible, PPL is virtually a requirement at this point, and most importantly network with people at the unit prior. Knowing people at the squadron is 100% what got my average ass to the interview phase. 

This is great to hear, thank you for the reply. Heavies are my goal so it's refreshing to hear that they are more open to people in a similar situation to myself. I will definitely knock out my PPL this year and rush as much as I can once I get closer to the application point.