tattoo regs

wikz

What's up y'all. had a question about tattoos and the regulations. I did a search and did find a thread back In 05 and was wondering if they're still the same. 

my situation: been hoping to get a tattoo for awhile, but wanted to wait till after BMT to get it. Long story short, I was DQ'd at MEPS for the most menial thing ever a few weeks ago and have been waiting to get my waiver approved. I also was hoping to get shipped off after the Hollidays so I can have family time and finish up my 1st semester of college. this gives me about a 2 month window to get a tattoo and let it heal.

When going through the medical process I was quite frequently asked if I had tattoos (I don't), and was wondering if having a tattoo is distasteful to the AF ( I know, a dumb question because a lot of military people have tattoo's, but just wondering why they ask this during the medical process). I was hoping to get some small kanji on my back (covered), nothing too major. what are some tattoos that are prohibited for enlisted folks to have? Will having covered tattoos make you a less competitive applicant when applying for the UPT board? (I know its a long way away, but just hoping to get some insight)

I was going to ask my recruiter about the tattoo idea since I'm waiting to be shipped, but Ive seen many threads about recruiters bullshitting and I though you guys would give me a more sensible answer to see if it was feasible or not. 

TIA.

Edited by wikz

I had tattoos during my OTS board,  thank God they stopped shirtless applications the year before I joined (lol).  

Just dont get a dick tattooed on your face and you should be fine. 

Face tattoos and to a lesser extent arm/hand tattoos dont look good during most interviews, whether its for Jack and the Box or OTS.   

• Like 1

If you're worried, tell your recruiter.   I haven't talked to my recruiter since 1998 lol.  

Edited by Biff_T
  • Haha 1

As you get more tattoos (potentially), keep in mind a lot of professional jobs will not want them visible. Tattoo sleeves are cool and all, until you go to the airlines later in life and you’re forced to assimilate with all those psychos who wear the long sleeve shirt!

23 minutes ago, brabus said:

As you get more tattoos (potentially), keep in mind a lot of professional jobs will not want them visible. Tattoo sleeves are cool and all, until you go to the airlines later in life and you’re forced to assimilate with all those psychos who wear the long sleeve shirt!

This.  

It was way "cooler" not wearing long sleaves for Compass (shed a tear for her) in the summer.    

Plus, if you end up doing time later on in life, tattoos matter.  Lol