Here's some hope for average folks like me...

Busterb63

Sometimes looking at these threads can be discouraging. It seems like nearly everyones scores are 90+ across the board, stellar GPAs, etc...

Well heres some hope from an average joe who was just picked up by a heavy unit...

Here is my AFOQT Super Score P:82 CSO: 61 ABM:63 ACAD: 31 Verb: 51 Quant: 20    PCSM:85

My point here is that its possible, even if your scores aren't amazing, you may just have to work a little bit harder. You NEED to network with someone at the squadron you want to attend, preferably someone within the hiring process or that has a good relationship with someone in the process. You will likely never get selected for an interview with potentially hundreds of applicants when you have scores like mine. They need to be able to put a face to the name. I applied to 5 units, got TBNT from 3 that i knew no one at and 2 interviews at the others because i did. 

Securing the interview is the most difficult part of this process, once you get that then its just up to you being yourself. If you're introverted like me, push yourself to talk to folks during the socials even if its intimidating or draining. People love to talk about themselves just keep asking questions, even if you already know the answers.

Edited by Busterb63
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/13/2023 at 8:17 PM, Busterb63 said:

Well heres some hope from an average joe who was just picked up by a heavy unit...

Congrats! It's wild seeing so many competitive applicants with crazy scores. When I interviewed with 2 heavies one had a cutoff of 90 Pilot and 90 PCSM and the other was 80s, even with those cutoffs there were still like 20-30 applicants in the running out of 100+. Then you tack on their work experience (prior enlisted, aerospace engineers...etc). I recall a kid from MIT at 23 with 1000+ hours and a guy with a PhD when I was rushing! I'm at the point where I can only apply for units open to an age waiver, but it really is about who you know. There's a loadmaster in the local squadron at my flying club and I didn't even know they were having a board (didn't see on BogiDope) until she told me, so I sent over my packet and was fortunate enough to get invited to rush. 

Were you part of the AW prior to getting the pilot slot?

Congrats once again and hopefully it's a quick and smooth journey to UPT.

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome to hear OP. It does give me hope. I'm in the same boat as you were. 31 and a Pilot score of 83. I have visited a few units (some more than once) only to get TBNT letters and told my pilot score is the reason.

I've been attempting networking the civilian way, getting a contact in the squadron (usually one of the pilots) asking if I can come and visit. Asking if I can return and visit again. Usually they say yes, I get told everyone likes having me around and then don't get interviews.

But I'm going to keep trying. Congrats on the interview!

On 4/18/2023 at 10:21 AM, MeekTiger0824 said:

Congrats! It's wild seeing so many competitive applicants with crazy scores. When I interviewed with 2 heavies one had a cutoff of 90 Pilot and 90 PCSM and the other was 80s, even with those cutoffs there were still like 20-30 applicants in the running out of 100+. Then you tack on their work experience (prior enlisted, aerospace engineers...etc). I recall a kid from MIT at 23 with 1000+ hours and a guy with a PhD when I was rushing! I'm at the point where I can only apply for units open to an age waiver, but it really is about who you know. There's a loadmaster in the local squadron at my flying club and I didn't even know they were having a board (didn't see on BogiDope) until she told me, so I sent over my packet and was fortunate enough to get invited to rush. 

Were you part of the AW prior to getting the pilot slot?

Congrats once again and hopefully it's a quick and smooth journey to UPT.

By the sounds of of, I think we might have rushed some of the save heavy units. I think I meet some of those same people like the MIT kid and a few others you mentioned.