enlisted ANG jobs

wikz

Good Morning Aviators!

I am a senior in high school, and I want to pursue a fighter pilot career, but have some questions. I am planning on enlisting into my local ANG unit to give me a leg up when applying for the UPT board. Reading these forums, i've seen that the best enlisted jobs to have to get close with the pilots and learn about the aircraft would be crew chief, LM, and life support. I am looking for some insight on these jobs (been there done that).

Is there a way to attend tech school and go to college (taking online classes), or am I going to have to do a gap year for basic and tech school? 

What is tech school like for any of the jobs/ how long is it?

What was your life like attending college, and being enlisted in the ANG as a crew chief, LM or Life support(the work load/how did you handle it)?

And finally, does being enlisted while at college really delay your college graduation time, if so how?

Apologies for the supplementary amount of questions. Im always open to suggestions!

55 minutes ago, wikz said:

Good Morning Aviators!

I am a senior in high school, and I want to pursue a fighter pilot career, but have some questions. I am planning on enlisting into my local ANG unit to give me a leg up when applying for the UPT board. Reading these forums, i've seen that the best enlisted jobs to have to get close with the pilots and learn about the aircraft would be crew chief, LM, and life support. I am looking for some insight on these jobs (been there done that).

Is there a way to attend tech school and go to college (taking online classes), or am I going to have to do a gap year for basic and tech school? 

What is tech school like for any of the jobs/ how long is it?

What was your life like attending college, and being enlisted in the ANG as a crew chief, LM or Life support(the work load/how did you handle it)?

And finally, does being enlisted while at college really delay your college graduation time, if so how?

Apologies for the supplementary amount of questions. Im always open to suggestions!

I know on active duty you won't be able to go to school on the air force dime until you get to your first base and I can't imagine the guard would pick up college tuition while you're supposed to be going to tech school but I don't know.  As far as practicality, its very possible but you would be essentially going to a full time job from about 0600-1600'ish every day depending on the job you're in school for.  Would take a pretty dedicated individual to do both but possible.  

As a non prior service airman your time will be regimented in tech school and you will not have time during the week for outside activities like college classes.  Expect to take 1-2 semesters off of college to finish basic training and your training pipeline.  The good news is the connections and experience you will make being enlisted will give you a huge leg up on pilot hiring boards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcollins said:

As a non prior service airman your time will be regimented in tech school and you will not have time during the week for outside activities like college classes.  Expect to take 1-2 semesters off of college to finish basic training and your training pipeline.  The good news is the connections and experience you will make being enlisted will give you a huge leg up on pilot hiring boards.

There is plenty of time, it's just a matter of what you want to sacrifice to get it done.  I wouldn't recommend it in the slightest but....Depends on the school too, crew chief school I could have gone through blind, deaf, and stupid 🙂

@uhhello Appreciate your insight on crew chief! Whats the workdays like? Ive heard stories of working all day and sometimes all night if the jet needs maintenance. Not to sound lazy, if I wasn't in college, I would have no problem with the work load, but juggling college and a job like that would be difficult. Also how long was your crew chief tech school?

8 hours ago, wikz said:

@uhhello Appreciate your insight on crew chief! Whats the workdays like? Ive heard stories of working all day and sometimes all night if the jet needs maintenance. Not to sound lazy, if I wasn't in college, I would have no problem with the work load, but juggling college and a job like that would be difficult. Also how long was your crew chief tech school?

Active duty experience only.  Crew chief schedule will flex with flying window, surges, exercises, TDY, and deployments.  Could be weekday shifts 8 hours, could be rotating shifts of 12 hours.  Could be just straight 12 hour shifts until shit is fixed.  Every location will be different depending on the mission.  Bottom line, if you're goal is to become a fighter pilot, you'll find the time.  My crew chief school was around 6 months of actual school.  Who knows what it is now though.  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

As some of you know I was med DQ'd a while back; however, I just got the call today and finally got my ticket punched. I really appreciate the help through this journey, y'all are the best.🥲

I was also given a list of jobs I qualify for in regards to ASVAB and physical quals. As of right now there are no details on what is open, but here are the options:

image.jpeg.b70bf98e8b803304e699aee13bf48ee6.jpeg

Unfortunately I was one point off the mechanical section on the ASVAB to qualify for crew chief (just my luck🥰). As a result, I am left with three options that give me exposure to the jet and pilots. I can work as an Aircraft Armament System Apprentice (I don't believe this would give me much interaction to the pilots, but it is F-22 related and a 15k bonus; cha ching), fingers crossed AFE has an opening and I can take that job, or if not I can also retest to qualify for crew chief. 

ive researched the jobs and understand that I should choose what I would most enjoy (I am leaning towards AFE). But, ultimately I am wondering from your guys' perspective what your thoughts are? 

which job would give me the best shot with f-22 pilot as the goal in mind? if I build a good rep in the unit, does the distinction of the job really matter? Are their some enlisted jobs that pilots favor over others?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:42 PM, wikz said:

As some of you know I was med DQ'd a while back; however, I just got the call today and finally got my ticket punched. I really appreciate the help through this journey, y'all are the best.🥲

I was also given a list of jobs I qualify for in regards to ASVAB and physical quals. As of right now there are no details on what is open, but here are the options:

image.jpeg.b70bf98e8b803304e699aee13bf48ee6.jpeg

Unfortunately I was one point off the mechanical section on the ASVAB to qualify for crew chief (just my luck🥰). As a result, I am left with three options that give me exposure to the jet and pilots. I can work as an Aircraft Armament System Apprentice (I don't believe this would give me much interaction to the pilots, but it is F-22 related and a 15k bonus; cha ching), fingers crossed AFE has an opening and I can take that job, or if not I can also retest to qualify for crew chief. 

ive researched the jobs and understand that I should choose what I would most enjoy (I am leaning towards AFE). But, ultimately I am wondering from your guys' perspective what your thoughts are? 

which job would give me the best shot with f-22 pilot as the goal in mind? if I build a good rep in the unit, does the distinction of the job really matter? Are their some enlisted jobs that pilots favor over others?

I recommend Air Traffic Control. You get to work in the control tower, talk to pilots on the radio, and watch them takeoff and land. 

I would also guess ATC would be better for eventually applying to UPT because you get good at talking on the radio and already understand a lot of local flying operations. Anecdotally I know several enlisted ATC guys that were picked up for pilot but don't know any AFE guys. 

• Like 2

Out of that list AFE will have the most regular, guaranteed interaction with pilots. Intel can be good, but depends on where you’re working…you could have extremely little interaction, so that’s a risk (from the perspective of wanting highest pilot-interaction rate). 

• Upvote 1

I have got some recommendations of intel as well; however, idk if I see myself enjoying a job like that. 

I got a meeting with the AFE crew and the squadron coming up, so we will see how that goes. I appreciate the help gents! 🙂

12 hours ago, wikz said:

I have got some recommendations of intel as well; however, idk if I see myself enjoying a job like that. 

I got a meeting with the AFE crew and the squadron coming up, so we will see how that goes. I appreciate the help gents! 🙂

If you are only interested in interacting with pilots, I recommend AFE and maybe Intel. If you interested in applying to pilot training, I recommend ATC. 

2 hours ago, goboldtigers said:

If you are only interested in interacting with pilots, I recommend AFE and maybe Intel. If you interested in applying to pilot training, I recommend ATC. 

Gotcha, I see where you're coming from. thank you for the tip; I will be looking into ATC as well.