Bacon and wine for FL

arg

I thought the bar would be the place to talk about bacon and wine. It would take me an hour to type it all out so I'm going to provide links. 

I tried to find the first video I used to make bacon but I guess since it was 15 years ago it's gone or buried deep in the interwebs.

You need pork belly if you don't raise your own and we run out. Any grocery store that still has a real butcher will have it. Shop around for price. Even if it's a little more expensive than ready made it's worth it due to shrinkage. Ready made bacon has a lot of water added and you pay for that, it says water added on the label, that's why it shrinks so much, the water steams out. Homemade bacon doesn't have that water. The fat will render out but you save that for other cooking uses.

It's stupid easy. All you need is salt, that's it. Salt a pork belly for four or five days and you have bacon, the basic bacon. But who eats that? You got to smoke it right? We, I say we because my charming bride has pretty much took over the bacon making duties(God, I love her), use a Weber Kettle to smoke it.

My wifes recipe is basically salt, prague #1(you need to be careful with that stuff but like I said you don't need it) and brown sugar.

Token video for motivation. Trying to find that dress for my wife on amazon.

Wine. The Desert Storm wine recipe is so far gone I could never remember it. We made it with pure grape or apple juice we got on the local economy. I remember we used the clear five gallon camping jugs to make it. The med techs donated some medical tubing to help with the off gassing. Our room looked like an episode of MASH.

Here, we have grapevines and after making jelly we still had a lot of grapes left over so we searched homemade wine recipes and made some. Wow, that stuff made MD 2020 jealous. We may try it again.

Here is a link to a cool website. I've used their recipes for curing a ham and to make pastrami. Both were absolutely kick ass.

https://amazingribs.com/

We can talk brisket on a Weber too if ya'll want.

Edited by arg
Because
  • Like 5