ANG/AFR RPA Pilot to ANG/AFR UPT...is it possible?

Hello to all. First off thanks to all of those on here who share a plethora of helpful information, it's truly helpful to someone on the outside of this community looking for a way into it. 

Before I ask this question, I have used the search function, google, and a bunch of other resources and still can't find this answer.... Is it possible for someone to become an RPA pilot in the ANG/AFR and then apply to an ANG/AFR unit in hopes of getting a pilot slot after serving time in an RPA unit? (I believe from this forum the minimum is 2.5 year commitment). I can't find any info what so ever so any helpful answers are sincerely appreciated.

-RANDOMDUDE

Sure it’s possible, but why are you not going straight to applying for flying unit UPT boards? Either skip RPA entirely, or maybe consider it your backup gameplan and pull that trigger if/when UPT boards are not working out and you can’t stand waiting anymore/still have desire to serve.

• Upvote 1

I will parrot/reinforce what the other bros have already said...if you are not already in a RPA unit then only apply to flying reserve/guard units. Sure you could argue the RPA experience will make you more competitive, but IMO that juice is not worth the squeeze. Source: dude whose road from RPA to UPT took almost 7 years. 

Thank You Guys! I was looking at it as A.) Being a way to serve "immediately" after college graduation ( I know their is a training pipeline etc.) and B.) Being a way to do something really cool to improve my chances at a guard/reserve slot ( Heavies, Helos, Fighters, Etc.). The information and advice is very helpful!  

Much harder to get released from rpa, first hand experience.

Still? With the MQ9 going away in 2026 and Afghanistan not being a thing anymore, I was told squadrons are winding down left and right.

Plus not having the RQ4 any longer. Seems like RPA will be a niche for a while until a major war sparks up that sets a huge requirement like the 2003- 2006 timeframe in Afghanistan.

• 4 months later...