Phoria Exception to Policy

FlightVector

Finding absolutely zero information on this process except from the very generic information that AFPC pushes out. I reached out to them and received additional clarification on the actual process, but not necessarily what is/isn't permitted or accepted to be submitted. I'm currently a 2d Lt with only about 4.5 months TIS and therefore I don't have much to show in terms of Air Force accomplishments or awards. I doubt they care about any performance from AFROTC or that I was already selected for a pilot slot beforehand.

DQ'ed from FC1 without waiver and attempting to push for an Exception to Policy.

Background info: AD 2d Lt; Commercial Single/Multi + Flight Instructor with over 300 hours; 94 PCSM; instrument rated; intermediate aerobatic flight instructor; experience with turboprop and turbojet aircraft; graduate of ERAU. FAA 1st Class Medical without waivers.

Near phoria is 18-20 (10 is the limit) prism diopters when measured with the cover test, 0-3 diopters when measured with genuinely every other test they've thrown at me. It's also to note that I absolutely bombed the second test they gave me at my IFC (now one of the ones I score 0-3 on) due to genuinely not understanding what the optometrist wanted me to do and I was therefore marked as incomplete on the second test. Not the best look on my 2808 when trying to push for something like this. The FAA standard for this condition is 6 diopters as well, which I apparently fall into since I have a 1st class medical. It is also to note that my distance phoria measurement is consistently 3-5 diopters.

My biggest gripe is that every civilian doctor (5) that I have gone to have placed me within the 0-3 diopter range and stated that my eye vergence ranges are well above that of the average person. When I spoke to 2 different Air Force Optometrists, the one was absolutely dumbfounded that I could have such a high phoria measurement on the cover test but be near 0 consistently on every other test he gave me, as well as have such strong vergence ranges. Additionally, he stated that I should have intense symptoms from this measurement such as double vision and poor depth perception, which I have neither as I also pass F consistently on the depth perception test. The second optometrist actually didn't even know how to measure my phoria because apparently this isn't a common issue for most people?

I'm just generally looking for guidance on how I should go about presenting this to the upper levels of my command. My unit commander is obviously on board, but I have to convince my Wing and MAJCOM commander and gather their written endorsement just to be able to submit the ETP request to the AETC MAJCOM commander.

Disclaimer:  This is all recollection from ~15 years ago or so.  I'm not a doctor, verify all this info before taking action.

I don't know how the FAA measures phoria, and how it compares to how the AF measures it.  I do recall the whole "cover/uncover" test the AF does, where they cover an eye and then uncover it and measure how much your eye deviated.

Not sure how they do FC1 physicals now, but back-in-the-day, you'd get them at the local flight med clinic, and the quality of the testing was mixed.  Not a dig at flight med, they just didn't seem like they did a whole lot of IFC1s, and some of the technicians were pretty junior.  I recall hearing something about IFC1s only being done at Wright Patt or something now?  If that's the case, then hopefully there was less chance of technician error.

Things like phoria aren't cut-and-dried.  If you're tired, your eyes are going to drift more.  If you're well rested, your eyes won't drift as much.  Also, doing a lot of staring at a computer screen right before a test can be detrimental.  Also, I suspect there is some subjectivity to the measurements (i.e. one tech might measure you at 8 diopters, one might measure you at 10).

I've heard of doing "eye exercises" to strengthen your eye muscles, but after talking to a couple of ophthalmologists and doing research on the web, it seemed like there isn't 100% consensus on whether eye exercises help or not.

Bottom line, my recommendation would be to first see if there is a path to passing the test, before going down the road of the ETP.  See if you can find a civilian ophthalmologist who will work with you to understand the AF's test, and work with you to see what your options are.  Note "Ophthalmologist," not "Optometrist."  Optometrist is good for getting you fitted for glasses, Ophthalmologist is someone who understands all the mechanics to how the eye works. 

My testing was done at Wright Patt so I'd be inclined to say the optometrists there are better gauges of testing. And yes, the first test done by the FAA and the Air Force was the cover/uncover test. I pass this test for the FAA but I did not for the Air Force. On the phoropter and Optec device they use for depth perception, I've been measured at almost 0. Any attempt I've had at trying to argue for a retest or reconsideration, even after showing AFRS the 5 optometry reports saying I was within standards was met with a firm negative. Not really sure there is much I can do at this point in the manner of convincing them, that's why I was seeking an ETP.

Edited by FlightVector

That's frustrating that the tests don't match.  Does seem to point the finger at the AF tests being wrong, but who the hell knows.  I can't add much on the ETP process.

Another avenue to potentially explore is to work with your local flight med clinic.  It takes a bit of work to get through the bureaucracy of the clinic, especially as a non-rated dude.  But if you can find a flight doc or someone else there who's willing to take a look at your record, they can potentially shed some light on it.   Also, I got the sense that the flight medicine world is small, and they have connections within the USAF School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM) that can make things happen.  Whereas the USAFSAM won't answer calls from 2nd Lt FlightVector wanting a retest, they may be more responsive to Maj/Lt Col Flight Doc from Base X.  If nothing else, I found that Air Force flight medicine is a big, byzantine mess, like anything else in the military.  A knowledgeable flight doc can help you navigate it. 

Your unit commander can potentially help here, and talk commander-to-commander with the Med Group folks.  That is, assuming you have any kind of flight med at your base.

Not what you asked for, but hope it helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you considered surgery? Your timeline getting back to WP will drastically increase (thinking 2-4 years) with all the red tape you're going to have to jump through, but it is possible if you're out of options. I can put you in contact with the surgeon who did my surgery and abled me to pass.