AFRC IMA/Individual Reserve Orders - Self-funded Flight Training

This may sound a bit out of the box/left field. Hypothetically speaking, would it be conceivable, if I were an Individual Reservist/IMA in a given squadron, could I work out an arrangement to request active-duty orders to cover me while I pay for my own flight training in the hopes of completing all my ratings in order to streamline the process and make myself competitive for a board? The only cost would be salary and NOT flight training, which would be covered (in this case) by GI Bill funds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating question!

This is straight from The Guide:

IRs can only earn Inactive Duty for Training (IDT) points for activities preparing them for full-time utilization or mobilization, which also includes performing your assigned duties (On the Job Training [OJT])

So technically you wouldn't be on active orders, but rather IDTs. And eventually, you'd be using points-only IDTs.

I've heard of IDTs being used for very creative things but the point is that if it prepares you for "full-time utilization or mobilization," it is kosher. There's obviously a lot of leeway in the language.

I will caveat this though, don't go abusing the system or being too "creative" with IDTs. Since you're not going to be a Navy SEAL, for example, training for an Iron Man or scuba diving is not a legitimate use of IDTs.

But specifically flying... that may just be permissible. 

I have to talk to my Det soon about a few things so I may just ask about that. Sounds like a really cool way to get some creditable retirement points and cash.