On base vs. off base at UPT

CrotchRocket

Question

Is living off base a significant disadvantage during UPT? At my UPT base, housing is in short supply both on base and off base. I'm considering renting an apartment around 19 minutes off base for the months that I'll be on casual and at IFT while on the waitlist for something roughly 9-10 minutes off base and moving into that closer housing before or just after I begin UPT.

I'd prefer to be off base so my girlfriend can come down and join me for at least part of the time I'm in UPT, but want to get a read on what people who have been through UPT think of living off base.

3 answers to this question

Live off base.  People think that the 10 minute drive to work will somehow make or break their UPT experience, it won't.  If anything it's 10 minutes to clear your nugget going to/from work.  Get a roommate and a decent house and throw some ragers.  Your future self will thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Live off base.  People think that the 10 minute drive to work will somehow make or break their UPT experience, it won't.  If anything it's 10 minutes to clear your nugget going to/from work.  Get a roommate and a decent house and throw some ragers.  Your future self will thank you.

My wife will be attending UPT with me if I get picked up. In that case would you recommend living off base still?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

On 10/31/2021 at 6:04 PM, flying_pig said:

My wife will be attending UPT with me if I get picked up. In that case would you recommend living off base still?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

I would go with off base. Like was said before it gives you that time to decompress and gives a little separation from the day to day grind that you feel like you never get away from if you are on a base. Many houses on bases are subpar compared to what you can usually get off base. This however is a little different at the moment with the current housing market in some areas.