ANG in a State I Don't Reside

skylane54x

Question

Is it frowned upon to apply to Guard units in a state you do not live in? I am really interested in a unit across the country but have never lived in that state. I would love to move there at some point, but I am hoping to apply to its upcoming board. 

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, skylane54x said:

Is it frowned upon to apply to Guard units in a state you do not live in? I am really interested in a unit across the country but have never lived in that state. I would love to move there at some point, but I am hoping to apply to its upcoming board. 

Thanks!

Absolutely not! In fact I think it shows a good quality, that you’re willing to relocate across the country to serve in that unit. Myself and I’m sure many others are applying to every single fighter unit in the country. The only advice I would give is to make it clear in your cover letter that you plan to relocate and move there. If you can also mention a family tie or something you like about that particular area even better. If not, no worries, a simple “I would love the opportunity to move to “insert state” and serve in your squadron would be fine. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Checksix said:

Absolutely not! In fact I think it shows a good quality, that you’re willing to relocate across the country to serve in that unit. Myself and I’m sure many others are applying to every single fighter unit in the country. The only advice I would give is to make it clear in your cover letter that you plan to relocate and move there. If you can also mention a family tie or something you like about that particular area even better. If not, no worries, a simple “I would love the opportunity to move to “insert state” and serve in your squadron would be fine. 

Great, thank you!