Cessna weight and balance

Stiffler

Guest dumaisj

Depends on how big the guys are...and how much fuel you'd like to take off with. It can be done. Check the weight and balance and your performance tables...depends if you've got the 160 v. the 180 hp Continental as well.

not sure id try it, even with the 180 version. fuel @ tabs with 3 adults seems to be right on the edge from what i remember.

Done it with the 180 version (2002 172SP). I had to burn about 30 minutes worth of gas off of the full tanks before the weight and balance numbers worked out to allow 3 extra pax (400 total in the front seats and 250 total in the back with nothing in the baggage compartment). Remember to make sure that your CG for landing is within limits after you have burned off your enroute gas.

Guest ramp_rat

Depends on the weights and how much fuel you plan on taking up. If you dont have a 172 POH handy, I've got one, post the numbers and we'll figure it out.

Usually, no

I know mostly about the 180 hp versions. The 1980's models (172P) with the Air Plains 180 hp mod brings the max gross weight up to 2550 lbs. Assuming standard fuel tanks (40 gal usable) and providing there isn't alot of extra "stuff" installed, this means a "full fuel" payload of about 700 lbs. Of course these are approximates, the actual number depends on the actual airframe weight of the individual aircraft, etc.

The new ones (172S) have the same 2550 Max Gross Weight but the airframe itself is heavier (supposedly becasue it is sturdier) and it holds more gas (55 gal tanks are standard) so the "full fuel" payload is substantially less. It is easily possible to be overweight with one pilot, two pax and full fuel.

The 160 HP versions (both old and new) generally have a 2400 Max Gross Weight, and the new 160 HP 172R has the same weight issues as the new 172S and can easily be overweight with only 2 SOB if the tanks are full.

In general although the 172 has 4 seats, it's really a "1 pilot 2 pax" aircraft unless you carry a less-than-full fuel load or the pilot & pax are tiny.

Becasue the fuel tanks are in the wings and threfore at approximately the CG, CG change with fuel burn usually isn't a problem in the 172. Although you should always check if you are at the extremes of the loading envelope, in general if you are within CG at takeoff you will still be in CG at landing in the 172

As always, use the specific numbers from the POH from the specific aircraft you are going to fly, as there is some difference in airfarme weights, MGW, etc for different models and different individual airframes.

[ 10. December 2004, 20:27: Message edited by: jcj ]

We do it all the time in the SP. Should be good to go if you're in a newer model. Wouldn't recommend it with the R, though.

Done it many times, in a 70's version, with 4 adults, including once w/ 4 adults, 5/8 full gas tanks, on a grass strip that ends in Lake Texoma. No problems at all, unless maybe it was a really warm day, and the people were really fat.

Wow, not once did somebody mention this:

If you don't know whether or not you can take off with four adults at a given temp, pressure and weight, maybe you shouldn’t be taking off…ever.

Look, I'm not slamming you, but you should be able to answer that question within five minutes given the passengers' weights, fuel, pressure and temp.

C'mon, man, if you have a POH, use it…it'll save your ass.

By the book. You know, the book that was written by Cessna engineers.

---------------

Wxpunk

Basically, the answer is yes. It is possible. But as PIC you must determine whether or not it is possible for you with your given aircraft, pax, etc. Wxpunk is right, you have to use the specific POH and make a decision based on your WandB. I know six people that have died in the last six months from assuming that they should be fine. Don't just assume you will be fine.

I did it without any problem a year ago. Fuel to tabs. Two of the adults were females, so that cut the weight a bit. I didn't have any trouble taking off, etc. It was almost freezing at the time. Shouldn't it be easier taking off in cold weather since the air is denser?

For all of you that just for some reason got angry at me for asking this question...i.e. WXPUNK (you know, the guy who just acted like i was some dumb ass who didnt know how to fly and he was my scolding instructor) I will say that I dont have the POH, I was trying to decide if this trip would work when I got home. Ill run the charts when I get the plane...something they teach military pilots...but I have to know whether its even concievable before i make the effort.

For the rest with thoughtful input, thanks! Heres the numbers: 675'PA, 200#, 195#, 165# and 165# and about 20 degrees Farenheit. Its prolly a 160 HP version.

Thanks yall!

I just ran the numbers you gave with a C-172 with 160hp. You were just inside the envelope with 25 gallons of fuel and no aft baggage. With such low PA and temp, you should be fine. But, I wouldn't feel right unless I sad you still need to run it yourself. There it is, it is definitey possible.

[ 11. December 2004, 17:29: Message edited by: c17wannabe ]

Dude,

It can be done. i've gotten four guys, full fuel, off the ground in Vegas in the summer in a regular old 172. Not to mention 4 full bellies of vegas buffet. It just takes a little more runway. And Wxpunk...we should just send you right to C172test pilot school, then you could legitimately bash people from behind a keyboard.

[ 11. December 2004, 17:32: Message edited by: farva ]

Thanks Farva and C17,

Ya I was a bit taken aback at WXPunk. I mean I by no means am an expert compared to many on this board, but Id have to think a guy 2 1/2 months from finishing UPT doesnt deserve a lecturing to that level from a guy who hopes to someday get a slot.

Oh well! Thanks again yall!