What do you think?

Guest Brandy

Alright, after a lot of thought on the issue I am seriously thinking about going Marines. I am currently in AFROTC a contracted cadet, not on scholarship, Feild Training complete. Before the start of AFROTC I was interested in the Marines, but then thought I would go talk to AFROTC to explore all options. I ultimately decided to go AF. Now I feel that there are a multitude of reasons on why I feel that the Marines would be best for me. So to get to the point, here is my main concern:

If I am released from my ROTC contract does this prevent me from serving in any other military branch? For example the Marine Corps?

If so what would be the best way to approach the cadre without totally screwing myself...if thats even possible at this point.

And before a few of you freak out and give me the "well you took that oath of enlistment" crap I am quite aware of my decision at the time.

Things change and everyone is different so with regards to the question stated above any input is appreciated.

I thought we just had an "Air Force or Marine Corps" thread here recently. I'm not sure how to find it though.

But to answer your first question, that should not matter. I had two friends go Army (.com) from AFROTC. One difference here though is that you'd have to go to Marine OCS.

[ 26. October 2005, 13:36: Message edited by: Rocker ]

i was seriously looking into it when i was in school but decided they weren't for me....two many downsides. i've got a roommate that's a platoon leader in the marines and loves it. if you're trying to fly, it's an easy way to go to pilot training. changing rotc's shouldn't be a problem.

before you do anything though, sit down with the marines and make sure they'll take you on, then talk to the AF. if you're not on scholarship with the AF, more than likely you won't be with the marines either so you'll have to go through the PLC (platoon leaders course) which is run through the recruiters if i'm not mistaken. you can still do AF rotc if you want while you're PLC...i wouldn't recommend that though, try and do marine rotc too.

if it works out, have fun at OCS and TBS...

You might also want to look into seeing if you can cross commission. At one point you were able to get commissioned in one branch and then transfer it to another. I knew an O-5 SEAL who was able to do that from USAFA. I do not know if this is still allowed, but worth looking into.

Robes

Guest SuperStallionIP
Originally posted by tx11:

Alright, after a lot of thought on the issue I am seriously thinking about going Marines. I am currently in AFROTC a contracted cadet, not on scholarship, Feild Training complete. Before the start of AFROTC I was interested in the Marines, but then thought I would go talk to AFROTC to explore all options. I ultimately decided to go AF. Now I feel that there are a multitude of reasons on why I feel that the Marines would be best for me. So to get to the point, here is my main concern:

If I am released from my ROTC contract does this prevent me from serving in any other military branch? For example the Marine Corps?

If so what would be the best way to approach the cadre without totally screwing myself...if thats even possible at this point.

And before a few of you freak out and give me the "well you took that oath of enlistment" crap I am quite aware of my decision at the time.

Things change and everyone is different so with regards to the question stated above any input is appreciated.

Send me a PM if you have specific questions about Marine aviating.