ROTC --> Guard for current enlisted guard members

ayz33

I received this email several months back at my .mil address. Thought i'd share with the folks here since you all are so honest and have been there and done that, therefore I think this is the best place for me to get input.  I'm going into my sophomore year so the timing is perfect. I was already considering dropping ROTC and just finding a unit and going the OTS route but this sounds like much too sweet of a deal to pass up. The reserves also have a program like this and both of them are in their infancy so i'm not too sure a ton of commanders are aware of this yet. All the guys I've talked to (including current UPT) tell me how awesome guard flying is and i'm aware of the RegAF issues as much as someone who isn't actually in the middle of it can be.

Anyone have advice for me as for how to pursue finding a flying unit and contacting them with this information? I feel like an e-mail is a better form of communication with all the info here, especially if they aren't aware of the program but i don't just have a list at my disposal. Maybe i should call around as much as i can until i get a decent lead to continue on from there with e-mail communication

My background: 25 in a few days, 7 years in the reserves/guard so far. Aeronautics major with my PPL, working on commercial and instrument. Multi-engine and potentially CFI afterwards.

Here's the e-mail, i put it in an image because it's so long. WOy0JDR.png?2

Thanks!

Edited by ayz33

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2017 at 8:29 PM, VigilanteNav said:

Where do you want to live/what type of airframe do you want to fly?   

I prefer warmer climates, so as long as it isn't too far up north i wouldn't mind. I'd like to go for F-?? before anything else. Thinking of contacting the 419th at Hill as my first choice, because well, who doesn't want to fly the latest and greatest(subjective i know)

I recommend contacting the units (start at their Recruiting office first) you would like to join and finding out if they have an upcoming board.  They are likely unaware of this program so you'll have to explain it.  They also may be only be considering candidates with their degrees in hand.  But, you may be able to convince them to take a look at you and this program with the right attitude and credentials.  The pilots in the unit might not care but the recruiting office should be happy as it will save the unit an OTS slot. If one (or ten) unit(s) says no, don't let it stop you. Many future Guard and Reserve Pilots interview at many units before finding the right fit.  

• Upvote 1