Suppression of Enemy Airpower

Clark Griswold

Interesting article. 

http://warontherocks.com/2016/11/offsetting-air-superiority-with-air-force-special-operations/

Not 100% on board but does beg the question (as a sidebar) whether or not we should develop / acquire new smaller SAM systems, good example being the Israeli SPYDER SAM system:

45626e40ef0c50.img.jpg

or resurrect the SLAAMRAM?

m02008112100011.jpg

Edited by Clark Griswold
enter key anxiety
  • Upvote 1

Interesting article. 
http://warontherocks.com/2016/11/offsetting-air-superiority-with-air-force-special-operations/
Not 100% on board but does beg the question (as a sidebar) whether or not we should develop / acquire new smaller SAM systems, good example being the Israeli SPYDER SAM system:
45626e40ef0c50.img.jpg
or resurrect the SLAAMRAM?
m02008112100011.jpg

The problem we seem to have is we always want to adapt an existing missile into a system and call it good (Sea Sparrow, SLAMRAAM, Chapparel).

Those missiles are working at an automatic negative as SAMS since they are designed with lower intensity motors on the idea they will be launched with significant velocity.

Plus at this point we are close enough with DE we need to be pursuing that vs trying to gin up a new SAM and an MOS and all the logistics to go with it. Come up with a Directed Energy Avenger or Stryker. And while we are at it, stop looking at high volume of fire systems like CRAM and realize the future is in systems using AHEAD rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lawman said:

The problem we seem to have is we always want to adapt an existing missile into a system and call it good (Sea Sparrow, SLAMRAAM, Chapparel).

Those missiles are working at an automatic negative as SAMS since they are designed with lower intensity motors on the idea they will be launched with significant velocity.

Plus at this point we are close enough with DE we need to be pursuing that vs trying to gin up a new SAM and an MOS and all the logistics to go with it. Come up with a Directed Energy Avenger or Stryker. And while we are at it, stop looking at high volume of fire systems like CRAM and realize the future is in systems using AHEAD rounds.

Not a bad point.

A new tactical / highly mobile  / low logistics AAA system:

Smaller than a Patriot and air deliverable from a 17.

System contained in one vehicle.

15NM+ or so WEZ  for its missile and a DE weapon with a 5NM+ WEZ.  Basing those ranges as what would keep a MiG or RPA from shooting a Maverick or Hellfire equivalent weapon.

Shoot on the go capable, not necessarily as good as stationary but at least capable.

No missiles or radar on this CGI but a good approximation.

HumveeLaser1.jpg

Laser may be on GCVs fairly soon:

http://futurism.com/laser-mounted-combat-vehicles-are-set-to-roll-out-in-2017/

Not to be too Machiavellian but we have good laboratories in Syria / Iraq / Ukraine (thru proxies) to begin testing these future out of the container ideas as the battlefields there are hybrid warfare (asymmetric tactics and belligerents mixed with some conventional forces and capabilities), these type of systems need to be rapidly fielded just to see if they work in operational conditions and are worth the effort.

Edited by Clark Griswold

I'm not so much worried about Migs/SU-25s or such rolling up an assembly area. What I'm worried about is exactly what is going on in Ukraine where the Russians are putting UAS direct fire support to work.

DE would give us a great way to take those eyes of the targeting cycle out of the picture since so many of our units are less than expeditionary in the true meaning of the word.

8 hours ago, Lawman said:

I'm not so much worried about Migs/SU-25s or such rolling up an assembly area. What I'm worried about is exactly what is going on in Ukraine where the Russians are putting UAS direct fire support to work.

DE would give us a great way to take those eyes of the targeting cycle out of the picture since so many of our units are less than expeditionary in the true meaning of the word.

Yup 

http://breakingdefense.com/2015/10/russian-drone-threat-army-seeks-ukraine-lessons/

Counter UAS has got to go to the front of the line for development