Next Steps

Voodoo200

Hello all,

I'm in my last year of college and I'm looking to become a military pilot. Here's some personal information. 

I currently fly for a regional airline on the CRJ200, I have around 3,000 hours of flight time. 

Current GPA is 3.69. This semester I should get a 4.0 and I'm estimating I will graduate with a high 3.7. 

I don't care about base or aircraft assignments, and I'm interested in the guard/reserve. 

My only medical condition is my vision. It's currently -2.25/-2.50. Otherwise I've held a FAA 1st class medical for years. 

Just began studying for the AFOQT. Aiming to take it mid December early January. 

I have volunteer work. Clean record, not even a speeding ticket.

My questions are:

1.) Am I competitive? Could too much flight time hurt my chances? 

2.) What about my vision? Could I get the waiver up to 20/200 or should I consider LASIK.

3.) Is it too early to begin applying?

Thanks!

Edited by Voodoo200

You're competitive.  At least 2-3 of the folks in my pilot training class had a resume like yours.  

I would definitely consider lasik.  Either way, you'll need a waiver.  Tactical flying in glasses can be obnoxious.

It's not too early to apply.  Start rushing guard units now.  

2 hours ago, Voodoo200 said:

My questions are:

1.) Am I competitive? Could too much flight time hurt my chances?

2.) What about my vision? Could I get the waiver up to 20/200 or should I consider LASIK.

3.) Is it too early to begin applying?

Thanks!

2 questions: (1) What is your major? and (2) What airframes are you going after?

1.) Yes, you are extremely competitive granted you're able to answer the "OK, so we get you can fly in the civilian world, how do you intend on adapting to a flying style more suited for the military?"... Old habits die hard, and the AF probably wants you to acknowledge that.

2.) I've always had extremely good vision (lucky genes), but go for the Lasik... You're flying regional so I'm assuming that's not a big hit to the pocketbook.

3.) Hell no. I would get your AFOQT and TBAS out of the way obviously, but seriously the PCSM is so heavily weighted towards flying hours now, and you're 2,800 hrs over the maximum requirement...

Good luck!

3 hours ago, tk1313 said:

2 questions: (1) What is your major? and (2) What airframes are you going after?

My major is aviation science. It's no engineering degree, but it's a degree nonetheless. And I would prefer a fighter, but would take any airframe.

1.) Yes, you are extremely competitive granted you're able to answer the "OK, so we get you can fly in the civilian world, how do you intend on adapting to a flying style more suited for the military?"... Old habits die hard, and the AF probably wants you to acknowledge that. I agree. I will show up day 1 forgetting everything I've learned from the civilian world.

2.) I've always had extremely good vision (lucky genes), but go for the Lasik... You're flying regional so I'm assuming that's not a big hit to the pocketbook. Yeah, it wouldn't be too big of a hit. I will probably get the procedure done In January

3.) Hell no. I would get your AFOQT and TBAS out of the way obviously, but seriously the PCSM is so heavily weighted towards flying hours now, and you're 2,800 hrs over the maximum requirement...

Good luck!