SpecOps ALO vs. ALO

Vickrey15E

I've been flying for going on 10 years and I love my job. But I am also beginning to look at other adventures I can have in the military before my 20 is up and I spend the rest of years flying for Delta. As it so happens I got a fishing email from the exec regarding the 17th STS ALO position. I wanted to see if anyone had any SA on this job or ALO in general and what the difference may be?

I have also heard extreme degrees in job satisfaction for those who went off to be ALOs ranging from "I loved it and want to go back forever" to "Worst years of my life, to hell with the Army!". I've never considered ALO as part of my future but the 17th rings a special bell that may change my mind.

Its either this or FTU IP and I'm on the fence and could be pushed either way.

If you PM me I can give you the contact info for a guy that just did it. He was HUGE into fitness and still said that the physical tryout portion was pretty intense. I seem to remember him saying that some of the guys that tried out with him didn't make the cut for that reason alone.

• 2 weeks later...

This has peaked my interest as well, and I've attached what I believe is the current application guide (Dec 14). Says open to 11XX, 12XX, 13LX (CAS experts familiar with all components of fire support highly recommended). Minimums aren't too bad, but like CRO/STO the minimums aren't even close to what is expected. Searching through SOCNET, Shadowspear, and reddit they say shoot for 18 minute three mile, 2-2.5 hour 12 mile ruck, and 80+ pushups/situps. Probably 20+ strict pull-ups. I would guess the selection week is quite hellacious, and close if not similar to the CRO/STO phase 2 week if one is to be special tactics brethren attaching to 75th Ranger, SF ODA, SEAL team, etc. 

Link found via google search, can't find the source website that links it though. 

http://www.24sow.af.mil/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=jGrB2Lzgbxk%3D&portalid=1

Anyone have any numbers (selection rates), how common a non ALO (13LX) is selected, tour length?

Special Operations ALO Application Package (current as of Dec 14).docx