Turning down an assignment but still have commitment

ARAMP1

My STRD is August 1997, and I have 1 short tour….

Am currently deployed but won't count as a short tour.

Wonder how vulnerable I am?

Recently they were tagging people with STRDs of sometime 1994 for O-5 billets. Know an O-4 with a STRD of sometime 1999 get told he should look for the short tour he wanted to do before the 365 came to him. Some O-3s in the '05 year group were tagged with 365s because they had STRDs of late '05 or early '06.

YMMV.

Yes, I am very familiar with the verbiage in 36-2110 (one becomes intimately familiar with this reg when they've just been schwacked with a 365, trust me.) And what you just posted makes my point exactly. To me, this sentence "based on number of short tours, short tour return date (STRD) and overseas duty selection date (ODSD)" implies that the ODSD is actually a discriminator of equal consequence as compared to the short tour. This is NOT the case. You can have an ODSD of YESTERDAY and it won't matter if you have 0 short tours and your STRD is older than everybody else's. Its all in the interpretation, and unfortunately, the boss and I both had it wrong until AFPC was kind enough to explain.

This matches exactly what I was told by the short tour people at AFPC, even though the way the reg is written indicates ODSD is always used.

• 6 years later...