NSA & Intelligence Gathering

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/01/17/remarks-president-review-signals-intelligence

Some significant changes to US policy on intelligence gathering.

[...] the program that has generated the most controversy these past few months -- the bulk collection of telephone records under Section 215. [...] I believe it is important that the capability that this program is designed to meet is preserved. Having said that, I believe critics are right to point out that without proper safeguards, this type of program could be used to yield more information about our private lives, and open the door to more intrusive bulk collection programs in the future. Theyre also right to point out that although the telephone bulk collection program was subject to oversight by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court and has been reauthorized repeatedly by Congress, it has never been subject to vigorous public debate. For all these reasons, I believe we need a new approach. I am therefore ordering a transition that will end the Section 215 bulk metadata program as it currently exists, and establish a mechanism that preserves the capabilities we need without the government holding this bulk metadata. This will not be simple. The review group recommended that our current approach be replaced by one in which the providers or a third party retain the bulk records, with government accessing information as needed. Both of these options pose difficult problems. [...] Effective immediately, we will only pursue phone calls that are two steps removed from a number associated with a terrorist organization instead of the current three. [...]