WWII vehicles retracing steps of Allies

M2

I know this is stretching the ROE just a bit, but I really think this is cool! During the three years I was stationed in Belgium, I got to see a lot of these re-enactments, such as the annual Bastogne march and the Mons Tanks in Town. I think it is great that these folks are working so hard to keep the history alive...

WWII vehicles retracing steps of Allies

A convoy of World War II military vehicles has set off from Utah Beach to retrace the steps of the Allied forces who liberated France from the Nazis 62 years ago.

Some 250 Americans, Britons, Canadians, French and Belgians mounted original WWII-era trucks and other vehicles made by Jeep, Dodge and Harley Davidson for the 713-mile journey through Normandy and northern France, Luxembourg and Belgium.

The trip started Monday and wraps up July 23 at a ceremony at General George S. Patton's tomb at the American military cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg.

The path follows the itinerary of Patton's famous Third Army, which is marked today by posts, painted with a torch emerging from water.

"It's a way to pay homage to all the soldiers who sacrificed themselves to allow us the good life that we have today," said Thomas Larscheid, a 58-year-old who came from Wheatland, Wyo., for the event.

One veteran is taking part: Belgian Maurice Sperandieu, who joined Patton's force as a teenager during the Liberation.

"The goal is to rediscover the story of the Liberation, in an educational way, to make people aware of what happened," said Eric Daniel, president of the Belgian group "I Remember," which organized the trip.

In each city they pass, participants will set up a camp like those used by soldiers at the time, to be open to the public.

By the way, 80-yr-old Maurice Sperandieu has done the 20-km walk every year since 1977. I was lucky enough to meet him twice while doing the Bastogne march, and gave him a unit coin when I last saw him in December 2004, the 60th anniversary of the battle.

Cheers! M2

That's awesome. I was in St Mere Eglise for the 60th anniversary jump of the 82nd AD (my brother was one of the jumpers) and it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. The people there literally think of themselves as Americans and actually fly American flags above French ones. Pretty amazing stuff. And the non-military re-enactors took that job very seriously. At first I kind of laughed it off, then I realised that they were teaching history to all the spectators there, many of them French kids. Really cool to watch and be part of.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could have seen this...

Cheers! M2

Convoy of Vintage WWII Vehicles Ends Tour of Gen Patton’s Route

By Kevin Dougherty – Stars & Stripes

A two-week convoy of vintage World War II vehicles concluded Sunday on the streets of Bastogne, Belgium, a fitting way to end a rolling tour of the route taken by Gen George S. Patton’s 3rd Army.

The route, referred to as the Road to Liberty, begins in Normandy and winds its way for 716 miles through France, Luxembourg and Belgium. While some Americans took part in the journey, which Patton’s army took 62 years ago, most of the participants are Europeans from such lands as England, Switzerland and the Netherlands.

According to Cis Spook, an event organizer, about 100 restored World War II vehicles were signed up for the convoy. Most of them carried folks clad in World War II attire.

“Many of them are ready to go into battle today,” said J. D. Harding, a spokesman for U.S. Army Garrison Benelux. “They are in that good of shape.”

Hardesty, of course, was talking about the vehicles, not the occupants.

The vehicles include GMCs, Jeeps, Dodges and Harley Davidson motorcycles, most bearing unit colors and insignias similar to those one would have seen in 1944. It’s all in tribute to the sacrifices made to liberate Belgium and the rest of Europe from Nazi Germany.

Including Bastogne, there have been 11 overnight stops. Participants have steered clear of any creature comforts, preferring to give visitors a fairly accurate representation of what like was like for U.S. soldiers back in 1944.

“Instead of getting hotel rooms, they actually mimic a World Way II campsite,” Hardesty said.

The highlight of the last day was the encircling of Les Mardasson, a massive monument on a bill outside of Bastogne. The monument honors U.S. soldiers killed in the Battle of the Bulge. The Belgian organization, “Je Me Souviens,” received special—and rare—permission to drive vehicles up to the actual monument.

While USAG Benelux is not a direct sponsor of the event, organizers have been gathering signatures and short notes from well-wishers in a book that will be presented to the garrison commander, Col Dean Nowowiejski.

For more information on the convoy and the Road to Liberty, go to the organization’s web site: www.jemesouviens.fr