Retired AD to ART?

It has been done....but not in a few years to my knowledge. If you want to try to get the gouge, track down the reservists at RND; last I heard there was at least one guy there who is a TR after retiring from AD. In person I saw someone ask this very question to General Stenner when he was the boss and he said he was totally against that idea.

I knew an ART who was part of the old RIF lawsuit. When the dust settled he ended up as a retired AD guy who kept his ART job. But that was because of the legal ruling in that case for that group

Any day he flew as a Reservist he lost that day of retirement pay. So in limited circumstances it can be done but as a practical matter I think it'd be tough.

Edited by jnav

I know of a Lt Col at SJAFB that essentially sold back his active duty days (20+ years) and moved into an ART position.

Also know of an F-15E IP at SJAFB who was a retire/rehire...he only gets one paycheck per day, so if he works 6 days as a TR, he gets 24 days of his retirement pay, and then the 6 days TR pay based on whatever status he is in.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Cap-10

If you try to get back into the reserves after being retired, it is possible--but it can be a total asspain. I've seen several folks try this. Most give up after a while due to the pain level. It can take well over a year, even if you haven't been retired for very long. You need to re-do all medical requirements as if you are new, off the street. That is usually the biggest hold up...getting the appointments (you are low priority for slots), getting it through the AFRC surgeon general staff, etc, working out any problems, waivers, etc. If your security clearance lapsed, that's another fiasco.

What Cap said about pay is true. You can't "double dip" but the way I understand it you don't give up your full retired pay. Only the days on mil status. You can run the numbers on selling back your active duty time to buy into the ART (civilian-side) retirement system. It can work out in your favor in the long run, but some of that depends on how long you would stay on with the GS side (to include after you hang up the boots on the mil-side).

Like I said, it can be done. But gear up for dealing with the slowest, most painful bureaucracy in the world.

I looked into this when I retired in 2003, they all asked me to take off my MSgt stripe and come in as a SSgt. As an ART in MX anyhow you get WG-8 thru 10 pay, on UTA weekends you lose 2 days of retirement pay but get 4 days of drill pay which makes up for it plus. If activated your retired pay is stopped and get active duty pay and allowances in your grade. When back off activation your retirement starts again plus what you just served added in as a multiple to your retired pay, which would have been nice for me since I am final pay since I enlisted before Sept 8 1980. Since I retired as a AD MSgt and if I make Chief in the AFRC when I retire for good my AD retirement reverts to highest grade held. I think it would have been a good deal when thinking about it but was put off when they told me I would lose two stripes and all certifications just to walk across the hall to our associate unit.