Fiscal Year and Drops

Guest Holt J

Guest hoeltje

Is there any truth to the statement that "UPT classes early in the fiscal year get drops with more fighter slots than classes toward the end of the fiscal year."

Many people seem to think this, so I'm curious about the validity. Did some searching, but couldn't come up with any answers. Any info would be appreciated.

Guest rotorhead

SEARCH!

Using A-10 example:

AF/XOOTA tells AFPC/DPAOT how many A-10s must be produced from UPT (SUPT/ENJJPT as a single lump) in the given FY. AFPC/DPAOT gets a call a couple of weeks prior to a class's grad from HQ AETC, with the number of grads (all SUPT bases summed together, or ENJJPT class). AFPC then looks at those numbers, looks at availability of training, then looks at what has been dropped vs what remains to be dropped on the AF/XOOTA requirement. Those factors drive the train...not FY calendar date itself. If all MWS training was exactly evenly distributed throughout the year, then drops would be similarly even. But in the B-52 for example, with only a few classes per year, the grads 3 months before those class starts will have a higher likelihood of a BUFF vs a class with a grad date 2 weeks before the BUFF class starts. If the first available BUFF training is in Feb, the UPT grads in Oct may get another fighter in the drop vs a BUFF.

The UPT SQ, OG, and WG kings can have a negative influence. If they start the FY calling AFPC complaining that they got "too many bombers to a particularly stellar 38 class" they try to get another fighter or two...that means that that fighter or two will NOT be available later in the year (because the XOOTA total is unyielding). When I was at AFPC, I said NO (or atleast advised them that their soapboxing for this class would kill chances for later classes...pay me now or pay me later, but you WILL get X bombers and Y fighters this FY).

Want a fighter? Get a 38, and be in the top half of that 38 class. Worry about your performance and not the calendar date.

[ 08. July 2006, 09:27: Message edited by: rotorhead ]

Want a fighter? Be #1 in your class or 2nd to last. Remember you have a better chance of getting FAIPed if you are in the top half of your t-38 class than actually getting a fighter...or at least that's how it works here at Columbus. Go back to Rule #1.