Attitude of Reserves vs Guard

Guest spankey

I've been in the guard for over 10 years now and as of late I believe that we are getting more and more like AD everyday. The new AEF cycle, the Bureau taking anything that AMC seems to give us, proliferation of Academy (the one in C Springs, not the former one in Knoxville) Grads that came from AD to the guard, have all added up to a condition that many of us are waiting until the day that the airlines start hiring in mass numbers. I can say that we still have good attitudes and most units have really good people there, but after 10 years of crap being funneled down our throats, most of us are looking for a way out. I believe that if the job markets for pilots turn around, things will change dramatically....the 65 rule can't come soon enough.

Holy shit.

I'm a Guard Baby, and am proud of it. If

I wanted to be on active duty, I would have joined active duty. My $.02, cheers!

LOL

The reserves though ... just to do a friggen FTP required 2 separate pieces of paper that all had to be signed beforehand to authorize the FTP!

Much to anal in AFRC, in my opinion.

You had to fill out two pieces of paper? No fucking way. That is total bullshit.

To Hell with AD vs. AFRC vs. ANG. The downfall for all of us came when priorities shifted. The priority of our men's welfare and morale vs. the political correctness in which we operate; the priority of mission vs. efficiency - i.e looking good vs. being good. There is a lack of balance in the way we fight. Our management has embraced efficiency, but taken it to an extreme, therefore doing the job 100% 'right' gets you wrapped in red tape and regs. The political correctness and 'equality' directives have driven a culture of watchdogs and yes men, who openly disregard the general respect for experience and rank because an AFI tells them otherwise. I look at the pictures and read the stories of our heros in past wars - flight leads with grit who gave their folks the slack to cut loose after they met hell, salty crew dogs working planes without shirts cause' it was hot - men who had the understanding of what it meant to fight and work hard and didn't give a damn what it took as long as the mission was accomplished. Some saw that in 03' when things spun up for us, but over time the pendulum swings the other way. It is sad to see things the way they are now, but regardless of the 'type' of Air Fore you are in, if you can do your best at your AFSC, and bust your ass in the same manner our boys did in their day, than you can get home every day knowing you did your part and to hell with the rest of them.

As for the Guard being a little different, I think its because the majority of the folks in Guard units have been there and will be there for a while, so people are more likely to take care of and look out for each other to the max extent possible within the realm of integrity - and thats the way it should be for every single one of us regardless. (title 32 helps too)

/ drunk bitter rant off

Edited by TheGuardGuy
  • Upvote 2

Guest CAVEMAN

As for the Guard being a little different, I think its because the majority of the folks in Guard units have been there and will be there for a while, so people are more likely to take care of and look out for each other to the max extent possible within the realm of integrity - and thats the way it should be for every single one of us regardless. (title 32 helps too)

/ drunk bitter rant off

Take care! The good ol' boy network shall prevail. Your loyalty changes don't you think? Who do you preserve, the local institution or the distant one?

Take care! The good ol' boy network shall prevail. Your loyalty changes don't you think? Who do you preserve, the local institution or the distant one?

Someone can always try to pull that card, but it's not exclusive to the Guard. The point I was driving was more towards the tendency IMHO for there to be a higher ratio of bros than self serving whistle blowers, and one of the reasons that culture is created is because folks in the Guard know they are are going to be around each other for a while. It's not a question of loyalties to the local institution vs. Big Blue - it's a question of loyalty to each other, its a question of whether we treat each other like a family member or a co-worker when it counts. That distinction shouldn't be contingent on what slice of the AF pie you fall into.

It's not a question of loyalties to the local institution vs. Big Blue - it's a question of loyalty to each other, its a question of whether we treat each other like a family member or a co-worker when it counts. That distinction shouldn't be contingent on what slice of the AF pie you fall into.

Fuckin A.