Type Ratings issued under MIL COMP (Form 8)

Anyone recently receive a type rating from a FSDO office by walking in with a form 8? Did the FSDO place any limitations on said type rating (specifically SIC)? Is there any printed guidance which defines what the FAA will issue?

First, you cannot just have your Form 8. You need to bring the FAA's 8710, your Aero Orders, flying time printout, medical cert, photo id, etc...

Second, while there may be some guidance provided to the inspectors, you should check CFR Part 61. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=40760189a03dfea0b501608f33820a45&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.3

If you are going to to to the FSDO and ask for something, make sure you know more about it than they do.

I've not gone for a type rating in a crew aircraft, but I know many that have, and none have received an SIC restriction.

OBTW,... you have to make an appointment. No walk in's.

Edited by Huggyu2

I did mine at the Dallas FSDO when I was there getting my MEI/CFII. They didn't mention anything about SIC restrictions. They didn't ask for everything Huggy listed, but I did have most of it with me. No medical required, didn't ask for aero orders... Call the FSDO ahead of time and ask specifically what they want to see.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest easymoney

I did mine at the Dallas FSDO when I was there getting my MEI/CFII. They didn't mention anything about SIC restrictions. They didn't ask for everything Huggy listed, but I did have most of it with me. No medical required, didn't ask for aero orders... Call the FSDO ahead of time and ask specifically what they want to see.

Hi all, I wanted to pass on some info about how to get a milcomp. I will put some links up for you all. The folks working in the FSDO use the FAA Order 8900.1 as guidance. This is the manual that is used to perform the tasks like "milcomp".

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx?mode=EBookContents

The web site should have (will have) the most up to date and current guidance to be used. If I was going to go to the FSDO for a milcomp I would print out the chapter I needed and bring it with me along with everything the guidance says to bring. I would bring everything extra you might think the inspector might ask to see as proof that you have completed the training and are flying at the level you tell them you are. I would bring this guidance with you so if you happen to get an inspector that is not up to speed with the guidance or wants to tell you this is the way we used to do it you will have the most current guidance.

The manual works real easy.

1. Volume

2. Chapter

3. Section

For a milcomp start on Volume 5, Chapter 2, Section 15.

VOLUME 5 AIRMAN CERTIFICATION

CHAPTER 2 TITLE 14 CFR PART 61 CERTIFICATION OF PILOTS AND FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS

Section 15 Issue a Title 14 CFR Part 61 Pilot Certificate Based on Military Competence.

For you folks wanting to add your CFI based on milcomp. I know that each branch of the service have slight difference in how the IP's are documented in the military records. Remember that just because you are full mission capable as an IP and you are out training other pilots on a daily basis. Not all FAA inspectors are prior military, with that said if your branch of service does not give you a log book entry, I would bring some type of listing of your qualifications on the squadron letter head. Keep it simple and to the point. List them with both military and the civilian equivalence. It may not be needed, and I would not kill your self to run it up the chain to have the CO sign it. It might be that extra paper you need to help the civilian inspector to understand your training and military ratings.

If you have access to a FAA flight surgeon it might not be a bad idea to pick up at least a Third Class medical. One of the flight surgeons we had on our base in the Navy was also a FAA flight surgeon. So the FAA medicals were not an issue to pick up.

in this post 9/11 world you will need to schedule an appointment with your local FSDO. Unlike the military the FAA does not use your SSN. When filling out the 8710 application do not use your SSN. If you do not have a FAA license number yet one will be assigned (pending).

I hope this helps. If you are looking for any other FAA links this one is a good place to start.

http://www.faa.gov/

The folks at www.shepardair.com (All military) have a great site to get going with the MCI test plus any additional information to include specific FSDO information....A great site to look at prior to taking the MCI $60 bucks for the study package, makes the test a no-brainer!