How did we miss this?

pharrside

10 years ago this month (April 1-11) this happened. I work with the only AF guy on that plane (now a Capt) and he is a really cool guy. A couple of gee whiz stuff about that:

The Chinese Pilot's name is Wang Wei which when pronounced sounds like wong way

The pilot got a DFC for landing safely (and handing over tons of secretes to the Chinese) while the crew got AMs.

10 years ago this month (April 1-11) this happened. I work with the only AF guy on that plane (now a Capt) and he is a really cool guy. A couple of gee whiz stuff about that:

The Chinese Pilot's name is Wang Wei which when pronounced sounds like wong way

The pilot got a DFC for landing safely (and handing over tons of secretes to the Chinese) while the crew got AMs.

was the pilot supposed to ditch? I think I would have done the same thing instead of killing my crew

Yea that's a shitty situation right there.

I imagine I would have put it down on the runway also. Probably would give the crew a lot more time to destroy equipment also.

If the plane was ditched (in one piece) the Chinese would just raise it and have it all intact (yet water logged). At least this way the crew probably had a good extra 30 minutes to bash shit to pieces in the back.

That being said, I would like to think I would have kept that door closed as long as possible. So basically until everything on the inside was useless or they physically forced themselves on. I would be willing to bet they weren't going to open fire and murder me. But I wasn't there, and hindsight is 20/20.

Yea that's a shitty situation right there.

I imagine I would have put it down on the runway also. Probably would give the crew a lot more time to destroy equipment also.

If the plane was ditched (in one piece) the Chinese would just raise it and have it all intact (yet water logged). At least this way the crew probably had a good extra 30 minutes to bash shit to pieces in the back.

That being said, I would like to think I would have kept that door closed as long as possible. So basically until everything on the inside was useless or they physically forced themselves on. I would be willing to bet they weren't going to open fire and murder me. But I wasn't there, and hindsight is 20/20.

A lot has been said about this and yes you are right none of us know what we would have done. I do know that IF ditching were ever an idea, the P-3 is probably one of the plane with the best chance of staying intact (for those types of missions). Also many of the crew members had poor SA and were not informed of the decision and thus did not get to destroying everything until after having an AK-47 pointing in their faces.

Anywho, thanks to the front end all of those persons can share their "vacation" experiences with us today :thumbsup: