C-182 around the world, twice!

Learjetter

Gutsy? Or foolhardy? You make the call...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/03/after-a-decade-aloft-ready-for-a-landing/

(don't know how to disguise/shorten link on iPhone, sorry)

Pretty wild story. The 17.5 hr flight from West Africa to Brazil must have been pretty intense. Especially since the article said he was dodging thunderstorms.

The pic of him in front of the airport terminal in Timbuktu brings back some memories. I went there a few times during my C-21 days. It looks all nice and modern on the outside, but it's pretty much an empty warehouse on the inside. 6900 ft of paved runway and a dude sitting in the tower who charges you $500 in landing fees although he doesn't even give you landing clearance.

I ran into a guy once in St John's who was delivering a new G1000 T-182 to South Africa. He was doing a direct leg to Lajes that day that would take him over 14 hours. His takeoff weights were something like 1300lbs over gross with the extra bladder tank and survival gear. Couldn't imagine doing that sort of over water leg in a piston single.

Edited by lj35driver

This guy flew around the world in a normally aspirated Mooney M20E. It's a fun read.

Call me a pedant, but he missed out about 1/3rd of the world in his 'round the world' trip. The other guy appears to have flown, no kidding, around the entire world, to include one of the poles.

Call me a pedant, but he missed out about 1/3rd of the world in his 'round the world' trip. The other guy appears to have flown, no kidding, around the entire world, to include one of the poles.

You sir, are shallow and pedantic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLFJuCCMpM

Edited by Spoo