Why do you all lock all topics?

Stiffler

Help me to understand why when we have a discussion that really does relate to military, flying, and world events, does it have to be locked?

I am referring to the discussion on the muslim thing. I believe this is a relevant topic...and is important to be discussed, EXPECIALLY because it has to do with the war we are fighting! Ya it may make someone angry...oh well! No one is forced to read the topic...no one is forced to reply.

99% of my posts on here are related to flying...but sometimes I want to vent my frustrations with the enemy...and the topic gets locked cuz someone got upset, and because we got into "religion or politics." But guess what folks, our job is an arm of religion, and politics.

If you ask me I think it is a case of some people enjoying using the topic locking privilege. But i dont know.

I like this site alot, and wont leave of course, just thought Id share my thoughts.

By "lock all topics" do you mean lock 3 topics of 154 posted over the last month? That's a whopping two percent - not quite what I would quantify as "all topics".

Relating to the Muslim thread, I specifically stated that I locked the thread because it didn't belong here.

I believe this is a relevant topic...and is important to be discussed, EXPECIALLY because it has to do with the war we are fighting!
The same could be said of numerous topics, none of which belong on a military aviation forum. All I asked was that you take your topic across the street to the Socio Political forum. It's more appropriate for that forum.

Ya it may make someone angry...oh well!
It had nothing to do with making anyone angry - I actually thought the post was somewhat interesting, but it got long (seriously...your post was quite possibly the longest ever) and it was degenerating into a political bickering match - appropriate for the other forum, not here.

No one is forced to read the topic...no one is forced to reply.
Actually, as a moderator I kind of am forced to read the topic.

99% of my posts on here are related to flying...but sometimes I want to vent my frustrations with the enemy...and the topic gets locked cuz someone got upset, and because we got into "religion or politics."
Fine. If it's not military aviation, go vent 'across the street.'

Regarding the other two threads that have been locked in this forum, there were;

Honorable discharge - From the get go, it was a repeated topic that degenerated into bickering and bashing which was recognized by people as they posted.

The Falcon 4.0 thread which became CypherX777's personal toilet and grounds from him being banned from the site.

This topic serves no further purpose and I will now lock it.

Okay, maybe not.

In short, we are trying to prevent another sp.net.

Every spring and early summer (about categorization time) this board gets a slew of new members. Some have to be taught that this board isn't going to be used and abused (i.e. Cypher).

Toro shacked his numbers. We rarely close topics unless they are going nowhere, inappropriate, a *****fest, etc. Baseops.net trusts us to take care of his forum and we'll do exactly that.

The reason it may look like Toro is closing something without warrant is because he's a vet on this board and knows the warning signs for when something is going out. I trust his judgement.

Allright, enough public knob-washing, Happy Friday.

HD

[ 05. August 2005, 10:28: Message edited by: HerkDriver24 ]

Originally posted by HerkDriver24:

Allright, enough public knob-washing, Happy Friday.

HD

Seriously! You sound like a staff-weenie...did you ORM that post, too? At least you knocked yourself off (uh...sts) before it became too cleansing.