Osteochondroma / Bone Tumor

JBueno

I had a benign osteochondroma (bone tumor) removed from my lower femur. By definition, an osteochondroma is a benign tumor. It's more or less a small branch that shoots off during bone growth and development, and is capped by cartilage. Tumor was removed, they double checked in the lab, no cancer. No kind of therapy needed and never a problem since. I have a 3-inch scar on my leg from where they took it out, and I've stayed very active and healthy since then; no broken bones, etc.

Today I got a call from Brooks saying they needed further documentation about treatment, doctor's visits, etc. Nothing major, but the gentlemen started mentioning "waiver" and "disqualification from flying". My pucker factor increased mildly.

I've researched this in the regulations; all I've seen are regs concerning cancerous tumors (in the Air Force Waiver Guide). What I had was basically a glorified bone spur.

Has anyone had trouble with this before? Did it even requires a waiver? Will they see the hospital report of "non-cancerous" and say, "Ok, cool," and move on, or will there be more paperwork and research/testing involved?

Edited by JBueno

Guest goducks

I had a benign osteochondroma (bone tumor) removed from my lower femur. By definition, an osteochondroma is a benign tumor. It's more or less a small branch that shoots off during bone growth and development, and is capped by cartilage. Tumor was removed, they double checked in the lab, no cancer. No kind of therapy needed and never a problem since. I have a 3-inch scar on my leg from where they took it out, and I've stayed very active and healthy since then; no broken bones, etc.

Today I got a call from Brooks saying they needed further documentation about treatment, doctor's visits, etc. Nothing major, but the gentlemen started mentioning "waiver" and "disqualification from flying". My pucker factor increased mildly.

I've researched this in the regulations; all I've seen are regs concerning cancerous tumors (in the Air Force Waiver Guide). What I had was basically a glorified bone spur.

Has anyone had trouble with this before? Did it even requires a waiver? Will they see the hospital report of "non-cancerous" and say, "Ok, cool," and move on, or will there be more paperwork and research/testing involved?

JBueno,

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Having a disqualifying condition is rather routine and having a history of nearly any odd medical condition is often disqualifying. The key is whether it will be waivered. If it is "cured", has little to no likelihood of relapse, and does not affect the function of your legs, then a waiver seems highly likely.

Submitting a waiver requires a certain amount of documentation. I'm guessing that's all they're looking for. Sounds pretty routine to me.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Having a disqualifying condition is rather routine and having a history of nearly any odd medical condition is often disqualifying. The key is whether it will be waivered.

FWIW, the flight doc said no waiver was even needed. He asked if I had any problems afterwards with it. "No, none at all. Didn't even go through physical therapy."