Fear of heights

Guest fff

I have a different kind of question that the ones I've already seen posted. I'm not currently in the military and was on a med school route. I had planned to join and be a doctor in the air force until a recent visit to the base caused to me to reconsider a childhood fantasy of mine to fly a jet. I haven't taken any tests but am confident I can do well in anything written placed before me. My problem is that I have a small fear of heights (or more specifically falling from high places). I can sit on high building with now problem but the thought of jumping out of a plane to skydive scares me. But I also haven't had much exposure to those kinds of things. I've never even been on a roller coaster. I was wondering if there are any pilots out there that have had this problem before and if I would have a chance to pursue this childhood dream of mine even with a fear of heights.

Don't let that stop you.

I can't even go near a full length window in a high office building, or cross a tall bridge without feeling light-headed.

However I have *zero* problems sitting in a 2 seat cessna 7,000 ft in the air with only a flimsy door between me and the ground.

Go up for a demo ride, and see for yourself. The key is to stay out of your head - if you start really thinking "Wow....that's a long way down, and this door isn't very strong" you'll start to get freaked out.

Don't let that stop you.

I can't even go near a full length window in a high office building, or cross a tall bridge without feeling light-headed.

However I have *zero* problems sitting in a 2 seat cessna 7,000 ft in the air with only a flimsy door between me and the ground.

Go up for a demo ride, and see for yourself. The key is to stay out of your head - if you start really thinking "Wow....that's a long way down, and this door isn't very strong" you'll start to get freaked out.

Very similar here. I fell off my balcony as a kid and ever since then I have a fear of edges and falling. Going over high bridges, I have to drive in the center lane or I freak out, but I'll look out the window of an airplane at 30k+ with no problem.

2 on the demo ride. They cost around $100 at most places and you'll get about 30-40 minutes in the air. See how you feel after that.

Ditto on don't let it stop you. I hate heights - can't stand looking over cliffs or tall buildings. This does not in any way carry over to flying at high altitudes. Looking over a cliff while unrestrained at 500 feet is much more frightening than looking down from a glass cockpit in a safety harness at 30,000 feet.

Don't worry about it.

Very similar here. I fell off my balcony as a kid and ever since then I have a fear of edges and falling. Going over high bridges, I have to drive in the center lane or I freak out, but I'll look out the window of an airplane at 30k+ with no problem.

2 on the demo ride. They cost around $100 at most places and you'll get about 30-40 minutes in the air. See how you feel after that.

Thanks for the advice. Are these demo rides that you're talking about dealing with commercial planes or are these flights offered in military planes as well? I actually went up in a little private single propellor plane 10 years ago when I was 18, before I've ever been in a commercial airliner or anything and I didn't mind it too much. The pilot actually gave me the controls while he took a nap besides me and it was great, up until I made the plane stall!

Ditto on don't let it stop you. I hate heights - can't stand looking over cliffs or tall buildings. This does not in any way carry over to flying at high altitudes. Looking over a cliff while unrestrained at 500 feet is much more frightening than looking down from a glass cockpit in a safety harness at 30,000 feet.

Don't worry about it.

As an F-15 pilot, I tremendously appreciate your advice. There's no greater encouragement than that from someone who was once in your shoes and made it to where you want to be.

Thanks for the advice. Are these demo rides that you're talking about dealing with commercial planes or are these flights offered in military planes as well? I actually went up in a little private single propellor plane 10 years ago when I was 18.

That's what I'm talking about then. This brings another question, you're 28? I think you'll need to be worrying about that age before you worry about the fear of heights. Search the boards here to learn more about the age cutoffs. Basically, without a waiver you've only got until 30 to start training before you don't qualify anymore, and it can take that long to go from where you are now to training. Just something to think about.

I am afraid of heights too. The escalators at Atlanta airport are terrifying to me. However, I have been skydiving and even popped the door open in a Cessna at about 8k feet to see how far the plane would yaw without issues.

Has to do with being on a structure touching/connected to the ground. Suspended in the air in an airplane no issues. I am at UPT now and have quite a few civilian hours. Give it a shot I doubt you would panic given the stories you heard here. Good luck!