CAFTT - anyone done/doing this?

Guest Mox Nix

Guest Mox Nix

I'm giving this some serious thought...feeling I may be vulnerable for a 365 soon anyway, so I want to pick something I might actually enjoy doing...something new and different, something challenging and rewarding. And some may call me crazy, but Iraqi UPT in Cessna 172s and Caravans...now THAT's something different and may be a good change of pace for me.

I've seen a couple mentions from hueypilot182 about doing the Herk training for the Iraqis, and that's a possibility too since I'm a Herk guy.

Anyone with first or maybe second-hand knowledge of these gigs, please let me know :aviator:

Guest Hueypilot812

You already mentioned me, but there are a number of jobs in CAFTT, as well as the Afghanistan mission (CAPTF). I hear they are getting C-27As for the Afghans, so that might be interesting as well.

My advice to you would be to look into the C-27 CAPTF program or the C172/208 program with CAFTT. Those two missions have a lot of flying involved. I have no real experience with CAPTF so I am really only guessing there (anyone else here done that?). I have been to the training squadron and it's a pretty good operation. You fly often, and the airplanes are pretty nice (C172s have Garmin G1000 instruments). I flew the Caravan once. It's a very easy to fly airplane...basically a huge Cessna 172 with a turboprop engine.

Those guys are also the most "Americanized" as well. They still rely quite a bit on US advisor support versus the C-130 program. That's good and bad...bad in the sense that they still have a ways to go to be self-sufficient, but good because if the US advisors are in control, you tend to beat your head against the wall far less often. Down here, we try to let the Iraqis take the lead, but that's often similar to herding cats, and it can be a frustrating experience to say the least. They are capable...but it's more along the lines of getting them to do it in the first place.

PM me if you have any other specific questions.

As with Hueypilot, I'm also doing the CAFTT experience--just on the rotorwing side of things. If you're a fixed-wing guy, I'd say volunteer to fly the King Air's. They look like pretty sweet birds and when I was down at Sather talking to a fellow advisor he said that they're brand new aircraft and he logs a sh!t ton of hours--and whenever you fly with an Iraqi, it's always IP time. Kind of cool for us flying rotorwing with the Iraqis--often I log IP time, combat time, and NVG time all from the same flight.

The reason I say go for King Air's vs the 172's is that you'll have a lot more fun time training and flying with the old heads/Iraqi pilots than the brand new ones who already speak good English getting trained on the 172's (that's too easy lol). Plus, you'll fly a better aircraft, log more time, and get to see more of the country.

I've been doing the CAFTT thing for almost 10 months (just found out I'm extending for an extra month) so I have a pretty decent handle on how things work, the headaches involved, what it's like to train and work with/advise the Iraqis, etc. I have a good friend doing the advising gig in Afghanistan and from what I hear, they're way behind when compared to the Iraqis (that's completely unofficial)--so you'll be doing more 'advanced' training/advising here in Iraq vs in Afghanistan. Also, I'm sure the living conditions, etc are much better (and safer) in Iraq.

PM me if you want more details.

Machts nichts,

I recently returned from a year flying exchange with the Saudis and shortly after I returned I swapped 'war stories' with a guy who had just returned from a 365 to Iraq teaching them to fly. Our stories were very similar in the sense of their airmanship, military bearing and general work ethic - very different from the military and flying we are used to. You can PM me if you'd like specifics or a contact e-mail for the guy.

• 1 year later...