Friday Patches

drewpey

How common is it for squadrons to have Friday patches? Is this a thing of the past, or is the "tradition" carried on still today?

Our sq currently does not have anything of the sort, but I'd like to get something started. I know it's not supposed to be "official", so how does one go about "unofficially" getting the ball rolling on such a visible issue?

Anyone ever faced the same issues? Does your sq have a friday patch? If so, is it recognized by leadership? Do you wear it out of the sq, off base, etc.?

Many thanks!

We currently have an "official" (per SQ/CC) Friday patch that you are given once "named" in the squadron. We wear it on our left shoulder and also wear our callsign in place of our name tag. Depending on our WG/CC determines if we can wear it off base. When I first got here Friday was a day to wear just about whatever you wanted, that got squashed a few years back.

We are going through the same process. I would start with the Sq/CC and see if he/she has any ideas. Alot of units use an older version of the patch. If your unit is old enough you may find that it used a much different patch from say WWII. We are using our units version during the Korean war. Also, you may find some ideas on usafpatches.com under the gallery section.