Active Duty Questions

Guest JoeBuk06

Guest JoeBuk06

I have to give a briefing about active duty at LLAB but the problem is I am still a cadet and know very little. Listed below are some questions that I have received from cadets around my detachment. I was wondering if anyone could help answer some of these. Any information is appreciated and beneficial. Thanks.

1. What are steps that we should be taking now in order to prepare for our transition into the Air Force after graduation?

2. Are there any websites or helpful resources that we can use to research bases and other information on our own?

3. Will we receive a mentor/sponsor once on base or are we on our own to figure out what we need to do?

4. When do you report in, on the day your orders say, when you get there. etc? Also, how do you ensure the person who you're reporting into will be there?

5. What about sports on base. Do they have flag football and baseball and etc?

6. Any details about ASBC and what to expect?

7. What are the family/spouse opportunities or organizations on base that they are able to get involved with?

8. Who do we report in to? What uniform do we wear? How soon do we report in (as soon as we get on base or during the next work day)?

9. What is some advice, tips, etc that you would give a 2Lt that is about to enter active duty and how to handle our first assignment?

10. What would a typical first day for a 2Lt be like and what would we be expected to do?

1. What are steps that we should be taking now in order to prepare for our transition into the Air Force after graduation?

Make sure your shit is in order. This means your financial situations, family, etc. There will be a lot of fires to put out your first month or two trying to figure out wtf is going on, and the easier things are back home, the easier it will be to deal with work, inprocessing, finance, etc.

Before you leave college I would purchase like 3-4 sealed copies of your transcripts, or a copy or two of your diploma, as well as things such as a birth certificate with an official seal on it. Any immunization records, medical records, etc. You will find that keeping multiple copies of these things in your back pocket will help out immensely when your records don't make the transition to the "paperless" airforce websites. Buy a filing cabinet and keep copies of EVERYTHING!

Other than that, enjoy your time as a civilian/college student. Skip classes and sleep in, because it will likely be a looong time before you can do that stuff.

2. Are there any websites or helpful resources that we can use to research bases and other information on our own?

If you are looking for flying info, this site is great. I'm not sure about other career fields though. Your best bet is to get ahold of a contact at your gaining base and/or a local base and see if you can get a new LT to give you the scoop of what to expect.

3. Will we receive a mentor/sponsor once on base or are we on our own to figure out what we need to do?

Most squadrons have mentor programs, and some are more active than others, so it all depends. You should have someone of similar rank, background, job and living situation (single, married, kids, etc) to answer any questions you have. If not, be proactive and call the sq and ask around.

4. When do you report in, on the day your orders say, when you get there. etc? Also, how do you ensure the person who you're reporting into will be there?

Typically your orders will be rather specific on your EAD date, which is the day you are officially Active duty, and can start your travel to base. You will have a RNLT to your gaining base, and can report anytime on or before that date. Best bet is to be a day or so ahead of the RNLT in case something goes wrong (car troubles, lost uniform items, etc.) There will always be someone there to welcome you, whether it's the duty desk, a "green flight" or the CC secretary.

Most bases have intramural leagues for lots of sports. It all depends on how active the MWR folks are. Once you get settled in, visit the gym, read up on the boards there, and sign up for the CGOC letter and you will likely be getting more info about MWR events than you ever wanted.

There's plenty of info here about ASBC, but I would expect/try to go. Everyone bitches about it, but it's 6 weeks paid TDY where you aren't sitting at a desk filing papers, writing OPRs, or doing CBTs. Enjoy it, one day you will wish you got more chances to get away from the desk.

7. What are the family/spouse opportunities or organizations on base that they are able to get involved with?

I don't know much about this, but I know there are a few spouses here that can answer this to great detail.

8. Who do we report in to? What uniform do we wear? How soon do we report in (as soon as we get on base or during the next work day)?

This is where your sponsor should help you out. They should meet you prior to your first day and kind of walk you through the procedure of what you need to bring, who you need to see, and where you need to go. Each sq will have different procedures on how this is done. Bottom line is expect to be greeted by a fellow CGO, and they will take you around to fill out basic paperwork and perhaps schedule an appt with the CC, and then you can file your permissive househunting TDY, and settle in for the next few weeks. Before you leave get ahold of the LPA to hang out and fill you in on the who's who in the sq.

9. What is some advice, tips, etc that you would give a 2Lt that is about to enter active duty and how to handle our first assignment?

Learn to be sarcastic, laugh at yourself, ask lots of questions, don't offer your opinion unless it's asked, and ask lots of questions. Seriously though, taking an interest in what others around you are doing and getting a bigger picture will get you far. 5 minutes of work on your end may save a co-worker 30 minutes on their end. Also never present a problem without a solution.

10. What would a typical first day for a 2Lt be like and what would we be expected to do?

Like above, you will report in, talk to a few people, and answer lots of questions about who you are, where you are from, etc. You will be introduced to a lot of people, and probably be given a checklist of stuff that needs to be completed within the first few weeks. File for your househunting TDY (and take all of it...familiarize yourself with the area, traffic, base, etc.) and go get settled in. Get with your sponsor for the gouge.

Good answers above. Here's my additions

Understand clearly where you'll be going, what you'll be doing, and what will be expected of you. Not to say that you should know how to do your job on day one, but at least know what you'll need to do to get yourself squared away. I still remember my first day of active duty almost 13 years ago and it sucked - no internet help, no sponsor, and essentially in-processing by hit-and-miss dumb luck. Have your sh*t squared away when you arrive will take a lot of stress out of the process and you'll make life a lot easier on yourself.

You're looking at it. Go to the Military Spouses forum and there are stickied threads on each of the UPT bases. If you're going to base that's not on there, search thread titles for the base and you're bound to find an existing thread.

You should. If you're going straight to UPT, your sponsor will be your class commander (usually an IP from the OSS). If you're going on casual or a non-rated job, you should get a sponsor from the squadron you'll be assigned to. If you don't receive a sponsor or further guidance, call the MPF (Military Personnel Flight) at your gaining base (go to www.YOURBASE.af.mil and if they don't have a base directory it will at least have the commercial number to the base operator. With the information from your orders, they can steer you in the right direction.

Check in the day you arrive if you can, otherwise check in the next business day. You're not 'reporting in' in the standard sense of the word. You will go to MPF customer service with your orders and they'll give you a checklist of what you need to do and where you need to go. There will be somebody at MPF to help you -- as long as you get there between 0900 and 1530.

The base fitness center usually sponsors squadron leagues in many different sports as well as MWR/Services sponsored events like races.

Here you go.

OCSC (Officers and Civilians Spouses Club) would be the big one. There are plenty of opportunities available - if you're looking for something specific, you can probably find details in the spouses section.

Covered above, but as for the uniform, concur with drewpey that you should get some guidance from your gaining unit. With no guidance, Blues are always a safe bet.

Salute smartly, do what you're told, don't bitch, be on time, and accept every task with enthusiasm.

In-processing. A lot of running around base turning in papers and orders, signing a bunch of stuff, and getting things squared away. After that it totally depends. Check here for some info on casual status (if you come on active duty while awaiting pilot training). If you're not APT (or even if you are), then your day will totally depend on what your job is. Realistically, you're job won't be overly task saturating....enjoy the freedom that comes with the knowledge that 2Lts are expected to be somewhat retarded.

I think this one has been discussed pretty well. Don't kiss up or start spouting off regulations like some idiots do in ROTC. There going to expect you to not know how to do a lot of stuff but to still find ways of getting it done. Best thing I can say is ask questions and if you can't find an answer make a decision and press.

I can't really help here beyond saying look up some info on your base and try to get in touch with someone from your det from last year or two if they went there.

You'll be assigned a mentor though you will need to make first contact with your unit. They just get your name, social, and AFSC basically, no info on where your coming from or how to contact you. Just call the base operator and get the phone number from them. You also might as well call lodging and book a room. Just be sure to tell them your on orders so you'll get priority on a room (occasionally can be important).

You can report in any day between your EAD and your RNLTD. Most people will use there RNLTD unless it falls on a weekend, then show the last workday prior. Your sponsor will coordinate this with you so they'll know when to be there. If you are going direct to a UPT base your sponsor will be (or was for the last few classes) from the OSS. They may or may not be rated.

Most bases will have some sort of intramural or squadron sports.

Just remember Exit 6 and Exit 9. If it's not at one of those you probably don't want to go there. Enjoy the drinking and good luck staying awake in the big blue bedroom.

I'm livin the bachelor life so i'll pass on this one.

You don't actually "report in" like ROTC does. You just kinda walk in, say hi, and go around shaking hands. Show up in the UOD (BDU's usually). See my answer to Q4 above for the last part.

Relax. Everyone gets stressed out about it but it's not really a big deal. Just remember that you don't know as much as you may think but you'll still be expected to make decisions and take lead on some projects.

Most of that first day will be spent sitting at MPF waiting to get your CAC. The rest of the time will be filling out paperwork to get your email set up, meeting the people in your office, possibly a short base tour, and if you're really lucky, CBT's.

Unless I missed it nobody has mentioned your 8 days of house hunting. When you go to MPF to get all set up on your first day they'll ask if you need house hunting leave. It is permissive and doesn't count against your actual leave balance so there is no reason to not take it. Basically you get paid for the first week to not show up to work. It gives you time to find a place if you haven't already and then time to familiarize yourself with the base and the surrounding area without worrying about what you're supposed to be doing at work.

Guest C-21 Pilot

One more last nugget of advice before this post gets too long...

1. Invest. You are about to be overpaid for not knowing anything. Tell your cadets that as a minimum, you should attempt to invest 5-20% - whatever you can afford. While I don't tell folks to refrain from spending, but, you really don't need that $50K sports car as a 2Lt.