Civilian Planes on Base?

Guest beylund

Guest beylund

Hey all, I'm waiting to be assigned my UPT base and trying to get things in line. My family has a little Cessna 170, and I was wondering if AD members are ever allowed to land/hangar private planes on active bases. I talked to the Ops manager at Hurlburt and he said he had heard of it, can anyone confirm? I would imagine there is some loophole, but I don't have any stars to flex either. Something to do with the flying club on base? Thanks.

Guest jeff1234

Don’t know the exact rule but I vaguely remember hearing something about how you must register the plane with the DOD, and then it must be registered with the local military controlling agency, and there might need to be an Aero club on site as well. Lots of paperwork and approval processes. Not sure, I could be way off, can anyone confirm?

[ 04. August 2004, 07:00: Message edited by: jeff1234 ]

Guest khamlett

If the base has an Aero Club, you can coordinate parking with them (ahead of time). You will also want to be sure your flight plan is coordinated with base ops. Here at Robins parking is free if you buy gas.

Any other options probably require more rank than you or I have.

Guest beylund

Parking and Hangar? It's polished aluminum, rain spots form immediately at the sight of a cloud I guess a lot of the time there will be a civillian Airport in the same city, it would just be a lot bigger pain in the arse.

Without a club on base you're probably looking at Official Business Only. I flew civilian planes into my last base regularly, but it was after the aforementioned paperwork, and again, OBO while I was on duty with my reserve unit.

You can get a civilian permit via the DoD and FAA. You have to do a crap ton of paperwork but you can find all the info at the faa website. There is a list of approved pilots and companies with military permits. Like Phoenix, Lockheed, etc.

Guest tentoad

I used to fly my Champ into/out of Seymour, Mcguire, Loring etc... I did my annuals at McGuire. The paperwork isnt that bad. The Airfield Manager at the base you want to fly out of should walk you through it. It is essentially a waiver of liability. The DOD cannot be held liable for anything and your insurance company signs off that they understand. If I remember right, that slip of paper was good for all DOD facilities.

1. You will have to coordinate with the Airfield Manager at the base you want to transit. Base Ops will need to know you are coming. Dont bank on a Flight Plan working- call ahead.

2. Check ahead of time for tie downs. USAF isnt big on tie downs and taildraggers love to weathervane.

3. I wouldnt count on being able to keep your 170 at a UPT base- ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT!!! They might forbid you from civilian flying while a stud anyway- They did when I went through.

4. Easier to keep the plane at the local GA airport. Rural airports usually run cheap. Enid-Woodring, A cool little grass strip near Colombus I found when flying X-C.

Good Luck

Guest rumblefish_2

The Municipal Airport is attached to the base here at Sheppard, so you see an occasional 172 land on 17/35 which is on the same airfield as our three runways. I'm not sure if they have hangars for private planes over there, but alot of the IPs here keep their planes at Kickapoo (which is owned by the city) or Wichita Valley Airport which is on the west side of town. You can fly civilian while you are here, but you have to fill out the "hazardous activity" form. Tentoad was right, it's probably better to keep your plane at a little rural airport near town.

Originally posted by tentoad:

3. I wouldnt count on being able to keep your 170 at a UPT base- ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT!!! They might forbid you from civilian flying while a stud anyway- They did when I went through.

Still is that way at Laughlin - no civilian flying while you're a stud. Don't know for sure, but I think that's an AETC reg. And also, there are no civilian aircraft based here.

Guest rotorhead

You have 3 DD Forms to complete for any base, and perhaps an individual base might have further self inflicted gymnastics. You can Google instructions/ideas for these:

DD Form 2400, Civil Aircraft Certificate of Insurance

DD Form 2401, Civil Aircraft Landing Permit

DD Form 2402, Civil Aircraft Hold Harmless Agreement

Don't forget about Navy bases, too. They can be fun, and located in good spots.

I'd forget about landing at a UPT base...base ops probably has been instructed to keep studs from flying civ planes at all. Other bases are fairly decent about it.

Dont know about you guys, but the last thing I felt like doing in my freetime was to jump in an airplane and go flying. Got beat up enough during the week where I didnt feel the need to fly more.

You are gonna have enough on your plate that you probably shouldnt worry yourself with that extra stuff.

Guest Joe Dirt

Current rules at Columbus AFB are no pursuing additional ratings, but flying is allowed. As far as parking you plane here, it would be extermely, extremely, extremely unlikely. But there are a couple of nearby places...

Guest beylund

Well I don't think I would try to take the plane to UPT, just bring along once I'm done with all flight training?

Guest ifrflyer

Someone mentioned tiedowns. I flew a Peterson Aero club plane out to DM. They had me park in the heavy area. I would have needed about 300' of rope to properly tie down.

The T/A people brought out some big concrete weights for me to tie down with, actually worked pretty well.

They had no 100LL. I had to go to Tucson for that, so gas will be something you need to ask about ahead of time.

I think I would want to fly GA every now and then during UPT just to go up without someone looking over my shoulder...plus you would be flying with your own ajenda, not per the syllibus...maybe I'll feel differently once I start UPT though. I flew out of Kickapoo a few times...always hated having to say "kickapoo" 6 times in a pattern...esp when shooting T&Gs.

• 2 years later...
Guest guard/reserve hopeful

Hello

Im looking at using a private aircraft to go to and from drill or annual TP's. It looks like it can be done but with approval from the higher ups. I don't mind the gobs of paperwork but was not sure about the chances with security being the way it is. I found some info (link below) on this after searching, but it's a bit old (1994), anyone have current experience with this? Thanks

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index...vilian+aircraft

What base are you talking about? If you have an aeroclub there I wouldn't think it would be impossible to do, but still a pain in the arse. Ask the guy in charge of your aeroclub. If you don't have one then good luck. I think the installation commander can squash this at will as well?

my ANG base had no probs with you flying in your GA aircraft. Many of our pilots did it and quite a few maint. personell. We even had a special parking area. There was a decent amount of paperwork and you had to have permission from higher ups. But my base was at a civilian airport and we had a decent amount of extra room.....other bases might not be so generous.