Socom 4

Guest F16crewdwgg

Guest F16crewdwgg

Back in the Socom 2 days I'd spend endless hours playing online. Anyone else play this game here? I lost interest after SOCOM 3, wasn't into the whole desert thing. Socom 4 looks pretty sweet. I hear it comes out in October, it used to be Aug but I think they are trying to release it closer to Christmas.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/SO...s_Confrontation ( take the few seconds to sign up and download it in HD)

Back in the Socom 2 days I'd spend endless hours playing online. Anyone else play this game here? I lost interest after SOCOM 3, wasn't into the whole desert thing. Socom 4 looks pretty sweet. I hear it comes out in October, it used to be Aug but I think they are trying to release it closer to Christmas.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/SO...s_Confrontation ( take the few seconds to sign up and download it in HD)

Have you checked out Battlefield Bad Company? In the DEMO you can play online matches. I'm still new at it, but I really like it. Can jump into tanks, jeeps, helos and other defensive positions.

:M16:

I did a tour at SOCOM and the game is nothing like working there. If they found a way to simulate an AFSOC guy doing Power Point and having a random O-6 trash your work (or take credit for it), then you might have some realism.

Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. Those three years were the low point of my career.

:bash:

Guest F16crewdwgg
Have you checked out Battlefield Bad Company? In the DEMO you can play online matches. I'm still new at it, but I really like it. Can jump into tanks, jeeps, helos and other defensive positions.

I've seen it, haven't baught it yet. Is it first person? I'm not a big fan of first person shooters..

I've seen it, haven't baught it yet. Is it first person? I'm not a big fan of first person shooters..

It is first person, but work as a team/squad. However, when driving/shooting in the tank, jeep or helo, you can switch to 3rd person. Also, some vehicles have multiple seats so you can switch back an forth between them. Jeep will have 4 seats so you can switch from driver to gun or to just passenger and shoot while someone else is driving. Most all of this is in the on-line game. Isn't SOCOM4 first person?

Guest F16crewdwgg
Isn't SOCOM4 first person?

I'd sure hope not.. that would just make the game suck! I'm assuming it's not since Socom 1, 2 and 3 were 3rd person.

:M16:

I did a tour at SOCOM and the game is nothing like working there. If they found a way to simulate an AFSOC guy doing Power Point and having a random O-6 trash your work (or take credit for it), then you might have some realism.

Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. Those three years were the low point of my career.

:bash:

Not sarcasm... %100 true about many jobs...

I thought Bad Company was pretty good (haven't played live yet, just campaign). Its real similar to COD4. I'd say the improvements are graphics, and sound effects. The guns sound huge and the animation quality is slightly better IMO. The missions can be a bit boring and difficult, but over all not a bad game. I liked the artillery scenarios.

This aside, I think COD4 is more entertaining.

I thought Bad Company was pretty good (haven't played live yet, just campaign).

You gotta try the online play--the action is crazy. Just yesterday they added the "Conquest Mode" It's a bit different than the other challenges in the sense you have to take control of (and keep it) for 5 flag bases.

My PS3 gamer tag is Davo-64

You gotta try the online play--the action is crazy. Just yesterday they added the "Conquest Mode" It's a bit different than the other challenges in the sense you have to take control of (and keep it) for 5 flag bases.

My PS3 gamer tag is Davo-64

I'll have to check that out. I only rented the game and beat the campaign mode on my xbox. At times the game felt REALLY boring, but for some odd reason I continued to play it.

As soon as I get the xbox router I'll rent it again and try it out live. How would you compare the live BC to COD4?

I'll have to check that out. I only rented the game and beat the campaign mode on my xbox. At times the game felt REALLY boring, but for some odd reason I continued to play it.

As soon as I get the xbox router I'll rent it again and try it out live. How would you compare the live BC to COD4?

I've not done the online version of COD4, only the player mode. BC online is so much different than the campaign since you can use any available resource (tank, chopper, jeep) you see. Even if it's in enemy territory. Also, if someone gets killed you can take over their kit and change roles on the fly. So if you have damage and see a support guy kit, you can pick it up, heal yourself, then switch back to your original role. Or you can just switch and stay with that one.

I've only played through 3 levels of the BC campaign mode and haven't been back since I got hooked on online play. I think the best thing about online play is there are so many different strategies you can try and you see all kinds from all the other different players. Some piss me off--teamkillers. Sometimes you get in with an awesome team and other times you get with one that sucks--makes it even more interesting. Even though you might be a defender of the crates, you can actually go in attack mode and try to hit the attackers home base (like the howitzer).

A few guys I work with are X-Box fanatics and are in the BC online. I could get their gammer tags if you wanted to hook up with them -- they do the whole headset experience to talk back and forth. Online play really gets fun when you have a team that can work together...cover, repairs and so on.

I've not done the online version of COD4, only the player mode. BC online is so much different than the campaign since you can use any available resource (tank, chopper, jeep) you see. Even if it's in enemy territory. Also, if someone gets killed you can take over their kit and change roles on the fly. So if you have damage and see a support guy kit, you can pick it up, heal yourself, then switch back to your original role. Or you can just switch and stay with that one.

I've only played through 3 levels of the BC campaign mode and haven't been back since I got hooked on online play. I think the best thing about online play is there are so many different strategies you can try and you see all kinds from all the other different players. Some piss me off--teamkillers. Sometimes you get in with an awesome team and other times you get with one that sucks--makes it even more interesting. Even though you might be a defender of the crates, you can actually go in attack mode and try to hit the attackers home base (like the howitzer).

A few guys I work with are X-Box fanatics and are in the BC online. I could get their gammer tags if you wanted to hook up with them -- they do the whole headset experience to talk back and forth. Online play really gets fun when you have a team that can work together...cover, repairs and so on.

Thats sweet dude. I've definitely gotta check out the online mode. I plan to get the router real soon. I'll definitely send you a PM to get hooked up with your buddies. If their already great at it, they'll annihilate me.

I was honestly disappointed in the campaign mode. The levels were thoughtless and lacked creativity. You feel like your running around levels that aren't finished by the gaming producers. I guess the best way to explain it would be, imagine a ghost town where theirs a few adversary's popping shots in your direction but you can't get a contact with its location. It gets really annoying. In COD4 the enemy is distinct and you can see them clearly as opposed to BC where the enemy subject is really vague or just shots coming from no where. Fortunately you have the adrenaline feature that COD4 lacks.

By the end of campaign mode I was ready to never touch that game again. I got the same feeling I did when I finished Frontlines Fuel of War. Its like the gaming industry is so focused on producing neat features that other games lack, but their forgetting about creating awesome levels that capture the players attention.

I'll give the BC online an honest run as soon as I get my router.

Have you check out Rainbow 6, Vegas 2? I rented that sometime ago and thought it was pretty good. Excellent detail and realistic stories.

Guest Codename46

As far as military simulators go I find them much more playable on the PC platform than on consoles. I have strange tastes as both a gamer and firearms enthusiast in which I prefer highly-immersive, realistic shooters as opposed to the arcade shooter such as Counter-Strike and CoD4.

That being said I can't wait for the release of ArmA 2 and Operation Flashpoint 2, both whose predecessors were touted for their realism.

• 1 month later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

Well it's that time... Socom 4 hits the shelf 10/14/08 and is coming with a cool blue tooth headset no extra charge..

Who's getting it?

Lets share some login names

socom03.jpg

I've been playing the beta a bit. I never played the previous SOCOMs so I can't really compare. Overall I think the game is okay.

If any of you want to try the beta (it ends tomorrow), here's a key: GCQC-9FBA-C92J

Redeem it under Account Management. It's only good for two more activations.

Guest F16crewdwgg
I've been playing the beta a bit. I never played the previous SOCOMs so I can't really compare. Overall I think the game is okay.

If any of you want to try the beta (it ends tomorrow), here's a key: GCQC-9FBA-C92J

Redeem it under Account Management. It's only good for two more activations.

So I just got the game today.. The bluetooth headset rocks and I'm not going to lie, the game is def bada$$!!

The music Rocks this time around too..