Space & Missiles

Guest madeus

With satellite/precision-guided munitions, stealth technology, Global Reach, and all that good stuff, is it not just easier to send an aircraft to bomb the hell out of the enemy than launch an ICBM from Montana?
As anyone who's gone to ASBC/SOS can tell you, the space side of the house enables all of the above through GPS, intel, recon, Comms, etc...

Personally I'm a former MX guy, so not trying to sell you on the whole thing, but that's what they tell you...

Originally posted by Toro:

What backseatdriver is getting at is that the AF pays you by rank, not by job. So a Capt who works in the finance office gets the same base pay as a Capt flying jets. There are a couple additions like flight pay and hazard pay for aviators/deployed dudes, but the basic pay is based off rank and years in service.

yea i know that. i'm wondering what type of different pay additions missle guys get, how often, and what it amounts to. on average of course

Originally posted by zrooster99:

I understand that. That's why I gave a nod to the "Space" side in "Space and Missiles" but was directing my question specifically to the ICBM portion of their mission.

Although missile guys are authorized "missile duty pay" which is basically TDY pay, they don't receive it. They get the same base pay as every other officer. They used to get a Masters completely paid for, but rumor has it that somewhere along the way someone had to ask why they got that and after the powers that be looked into it, they stopped really the only good deal that the missle career field had.

Lesson here is don't ask about what doesn't need to be fixed! lol