T-38 hours

HuggyU2

I heard that there is/was a Moody pilot with 1000+ hours in the T-38A, 1000+ in the AT-38B, and is getting close to 1000 hours in the T-38C. True statement?

Also, other than this Moody pilot, is there anyone currently flying the T-38 for the USAF with over 3000 hours in the Talon?

Guest T38driver

Most of the IPs in T-38s with that many hours are from the Reserves. At Columbus, there are a few very close to 3,000 in the T-38 (A and C combined). We don't have anyone with 1,000 in the T-38C yet, but there are a couple of FAIPs getting close.

Guest sickels101

Average is usually somewhere from a 1.1 to a 1.4. I only triple turned once, and I think there was only another stud in my flight that did as well. However, it was flight-sim-flight. I never saw a triple turn of flight-flight-flight (except of course for the IPs, which was pretty regular).

In IFF, I usually fly about a 0.8, depending on mission. I double-turn regularly, but our flying schedule is not arranged for triple-turns (except on rare occasions, and the 3rd is never a student training line).

The sortie count for an IFF IP is huge (10 times per week is attainable regularly if your job position can support it), but the hours are pretty meager. I might get to 600 hours by the end of my 3.5 year tour if lucky.

Originally posted by C-21 Pilot:

WHat's the avg sortie for the -38...and how many times (if ever) will you double or triple turn?

For UPT it's generally 1.0 to 1.2 for local stuff, 1.5-ish for out and backs.

Students will rarely double turn flights and they do not triple turn. As an IP, I usually double turned 2 or 3 days a week and usually triple turned at least once a week.

I double turned lots in T-38s in UPT and triple turned 3 or 4 times in the aircraft. This was after a typical winter in northwest OK and with an upper class who was behind the timeline.

For example, my first week flying the T-38 was double turning aicraft Mon-Thurs and then a sim and a jet on Friday. I slept pretty good that weekend.

[ 08. January 2006, 21:19: Message edited by: Tweet FAIP ]

Hacker,

Did the high time guy retire or PCS? Who is it?

The 7400 hour pilot is Frank Lerquin (sp?). However, getting those kind of T-38 hours is a thing of the past, since "career trainers" and the ACE program are gone. Most of those high time guys bounced back and forth from ACE, PIT, and UPT.

I figure there must be some 3000 hour pilots at PIT, but haven't heard for sure.

Can someone tell me what PIT is? A friend of mine went did that on the T-38 when he started on the U-2 and I never knew what he meant, yeah I've searched too

Originally posted by Pogo:

Can someone tell me what PIT is? A friend of mine went did that on the T-38 when he started on the U-2 and I never knew what he meant, yeah I've searched too

Pilot Instructor Training. If you are going to be an IP at one of the UPT bases, you do PIT at Randolph AFB in TX. If you are goint to be an IP at Sheppard, they do PIT in house.

Hoser