Holloman T-38s

5 or 6 of Holloman's jets are going to Beale. They will replace 5 or 6 of Beale's jets that are high time, and approaching a major phase input. One of Beale's old jets is going on static display. Two (I think) are going to be cockpit trainers (Sheppard?), and the other two or three,... well I forgot exactly, but they are not going to AMARC, but will be stripped down for parts.

I could speculate on the rest, but you said you don't want that, so I won't.

Bottom line: the 14 "HO" jets are going. The "HT" jets are something I'm not sure about.

5 or 6 of Holloman's jets are going to Beale. They will replace 5 or 6 of Beale's jets that are high time, and approaching a major phase input. One of Beale's old jets is going on static display. Two (I think) are going to be cockpit trainers (Sheppard?), and the other two or three,... well I forgot exactly, but they are not going to AMARC, but will be stripped down for parts.

I could speculate on the rest, but you said you don't want that, so I won't.

Bottom line: the 14 "HO" jets are going. The "HT" jets are something I'm not sure about.

Correct on the HO jets...though guys there are trying to hold on to some to fly since the 117s are gone and the first 22 isn't there for a while. How that'll play out is anyone's guess. If they stay, and once the 22s arrive, I don't think they'll be there long there after.

As I'm sure you know, the HT jets are with the test group there serving a completely different function from the HO jets and the wing.

To me, the bigger question is where the A-model 38 repair/rebuild facility that the HO/HT/BB/WM jets went to is going to go.....if it goes anyplace.

On a slightly related note, just curious what happens to the stealth pilots now that the jet is retired. I got a T-38 ride from those guys as a cadet and they were all some great dudes. Are there opportunities to move into the F-22 since that's the new jet for their wing or will they get shuffled to instructor and staff jobs? Is there a set process for this?

zb

On a slightly related note, just curious what happens to the stealth pilots now that the jet is retired. I got a T-38 ride from those guys as a cadet and they were all some great dudes. Are there opportunities to move into the F-22 since that's the new jet for their wing or will they get shuffled to instructor and staff jobs? Is there a set process for this?

zb

Maybe they will let them stay there to man the new UAV schoolhouse that will be standing up there shortly!

(Only joking on the first half of that statement)

zb

Generally speaking, no. At Holloman, the majority of the people were either too old rank-wise for the F-22 (field graders from the F-111/F-4 that had "nowhere else to go"....just like the Richard Gere line in Officer and a Gentleman) or weren't from the right airframe (many A-10 guys, also a couple B-1 and a U-2 guy) to qualify for the F-22 selection. One guy in my former squadron there got selected to go to the F-22 and he was from an F-16 background.

We also had a ton of light-grey Eagle guys there, but it was apparent that many of them were sent there after being persona-non-grata in their former airframe......

Box,

On the UAV note, why are Nellis guys being sent TDY to Guard units while our guys are being sent downrange? Got a crew from the 15th at my unit that have been here for a while.........weird.....

Guest Jollygreen
... the first 22 isn't there for a while.

The 49th has F-22s now (but very few).

Edited by Jollygreen

The 49th has F-22s now (but very few).

Didn't know that. Id heard a few would arrive soon but didn't know they were there yet. I was trying to mean full-force...or at least a squadron. I remembered back when, the talk was of a "seamless transition" from the 117 to the 22....lol. Now, of course, there's going to be some lag time in between. Til then, HO is effectively a German AFB. :) That's why they were fighting to keep some of the 38s around IIRC.

Guest whyme?
Maybe they will let them stay there to man the new UAV schoolhouse that will be standing up there shortly!

(Only joking on the first half of that statement)

MAybe thats the new pitch from recruiters, Come fly the pred (crossing fingers)and you can swap to f-22 later.

Didn't know that. Id heard a few would arrive soon but didn't know they were there yet. I was trying to mean full-force...or at least a squadron. I remembered back when, the talk was of a "seamless transition" from the 117 to the 22....lol. Now, of course, there's going to be some lag time in between. Til then, HO is effectively a German AFB. :) That's why they were fighting to keep some of the 38s around IIRC.

From earlier this week...Raptors Arrive at Holloman

6/4/2008 - HOLLOMAN AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. (AFPN) -- More than 200 members of Holloman Air Force Base gathered to welcome the first two F-22 Raptors as they taxied into Hangar 301 here at 2:49 p.m., marking June 2 as an important date in 49th Fighter Wing history.

The Air Force had announced in March 2006 that Holloman AFB was one of the preferred bases to receive the F-22A Raptor, and after much preparation, it has arrived.

The first two F-22s to feature the Holloman AFB tail flash, "HO," were flown in by Col. Jeff Harrigian, the 49th Fighter Wing commander and Lt. Col. Mike Hernandez, the 7th Fighter Squadron commander.

"It's a big day. We're very proud to have the aircraft finally here," Colonel Hernandez said. "The F-22 is the finest fighter in the world. It is by far better than anything else that is out there and better than anything on anyone's drawings board. We're very lucky."

Over the next six months, the aircraft will be flown, but the focus will be on training for Airmen here, Colonel Hernandez said. More aircraft will begin to roll in the first of the year and the goal is to be operationally ready by Nov. 1, 2009.

"I'm really proud of what everyone did to make this happen," Colonel Harrigian said. "Everyone came together and managed to make us 'Raptor Ready' in a short period of time. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but we will be ready by the time we need to be."

Several onlookers said they were impressed by its presentation.

"I've seen (the F-22) used in a couple movies and I always thought it was a very cool and very sleek jet all around," said Staff Sgt. Roland Vigne, with the 49th Materiel Maintenance Support Squadron." It's a great opportunity to be stationed on one of only four bases getting it."

The official ceremony for the arrival of the F-22 is scheduled for June 6, where the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Gen. T. Michael Moseley, will make a presentation.

According to the media, the two F-22's are there for the MX guys to practice on, and to get up to speed with.

Where the A-model phase will take place is not a big question: it will remain at KHMN for now.

The ACC/TRSS stuff moved to Beale last year, though.

As for the HO T-38's staying there for a while, the word is that it did not get funded for the incoming F-22 guys (while they wait for their $326M-per-copy-Raptors). However this is what the official public press release said,... if there's something else going on, then there you have it.

Box,

On the UAV note, why are Nellis guys being sent TDY to Guard units while our guys are being sent downrange? Got a crew from the 15th at my unit that have been here for a while.........weird.....

Because the 432 "AEW" has their heads up their....I mean the 432 "AEW" has some unique policies and procedures. I can not even begin to describe how confused I am at the decisions that they make. I gave up trying long ago, I try to focus on getting the 3rd finally and totally split away from them. It is a dream I have....

On a slightly related note, just curious what happens to the stealth pilots now that the jet is retired.

I went on a base visit with my det to Holloman last year and was told that flying the 117 is like a TDY. Its not a main airframe assignment. We were also told that most N'hawk selects are usually from the Viper/Eagle community.

Now 117 instructors...I'm not sure whats going to happen to them.

I went on a base visit with my det to Holloman last year and was told that flying the 117 is like a TDY. Its not a main airframe assignment. We were also told that most N'hawk selects are usually from the Viper/Eagle community.

Now 117 instructors...I'm not sure whats going to happen to them.

Essentially correct. Everyone comes from some other airframe, and IIRC still belongs to that airframe manager at AFPC. Finish the 117 and go where you'd normally go.....ALFA, school, back to your old airframe, it depends.

The Instructors....flying instructors/IPs....where they go depends on what they can still do....young or old rank-wise. The FTU unit closed a good while before the ops units did and according to the article has reopened again with F-22s as an ops unit itself.