American Flag ROE

Guest Cap-10

I've been thinking about putting a flag pole in my front lawn, and with the passing of President Ford, I've noticed that during my drive to work, some of the local stores still have the flag at half staff, and some are full staff, which got me wondering about the actual rules about flying the flag at half staff.

I include the attached link for everyone's flag education.

Cap-10

Guest Rainman A-10

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of Gerald R. Ford, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all buildings, grounds, and Naval vessels of the United States for a period of 30 days from the day of his death. I also direct that for the same length of time, the representatives of the United States in foreign countries shall make similar arrangements for the display of the flag at half-staff over their Embassies, Legations, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and stations.

• 2 years later...

Revival, but in a bit of a different direction.

I wish to display my state flag and the American flag on my porch. I know the American flag should be displayed slightly higher than the other, but is there a correct position? IE, should it be to the right or left of the state flag?

Thanks!

~NH

I wish to display my state flag and the American flag on my porch. I know the American flag should be displayed slightly higher than the other, but is there a correct position? IE, should it be to the right or left of the state flag?

Thanks!

~NH

No flag may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the right of the flag of the United States (the viewer's left).

Dude your own post shows that YOU are wrong... "When flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the right of the flag of the United States (the viewer's left). When the flag is half-masted, both flags are half-masted, with the US flag at the mid-point and the other flag below."

I checked and that is the same exact verbiage used in the U.S. Flag Code (too much time, I know - its a weather day)

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4

Thanks!

~NH

The flags can be the same height; the U.S. flag should be on the left as viewed approaching your porch from the street.

AFI 34-1201, Protocol, chapter 2, goes into extreme detail on properly displaying the flag. It's comprehensively based on U.S. laws and DoD regs; I'd trust it more than the two websites mentioned above.

SJ4 (Current Protocol Officer)

The flags can be the same height; the U.S. flag should be on the left as viewed approaching your porch from the street.

AFI 34-1201, Protocol, chapter 2, goes into extreme detail on properly displaying the flag. It's comprehensively based on U.S. laws and DoD regs; I'd trust it more than the two websites mentioned above.

SJ4 (Current Protocol Officer)

Thanks!